Okanogan County Courthouse - Okanogan, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 48° 21.915 W 119° 34.874
11U E 308822 N 5360116
Overlooking downtown and the Okanogan River, the Spanish mission style Okanogan County Courthouse is nothing if not the most visible building in the town.
Waymark Code: WMYRHW
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 07/17/2018
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Built in 1915, the courthouse was designed by architect George H. Keith of Spokane to be built of hollow tile and concrete, with an exterior plaster finish and red tile roof, making it just a "tiny bit" different in appearance from the more conventional classically styled courthouses of surrounding counties. Now appearing as two adjoining sections, the the original 1915 (southwest) section, is the more detailed of the two, with Roman arched windows and small dormers, neither of which appear on the northeast section. This is primarily because the northeast section, the annex, was not added until 1950. Today most of the primary functions of the building have shifted to the annex. This annex, designed by L. Solberg of Wenatchee, is sufficiently compatible in design with the 1915 courthouse that it is considered part of the courthouse by the NRHP.

Beginning almost immediately after the completion of the 1915 courthouse, additions began to be made, first a small three bay garage for county cars, followed by a much larger single-story garage along Fourth Avenue, to the southwest. In 1956 this garage was converted for use as a county jail, eliminating the ground floor jail from the 1915 building. In 1983 the jail was expanded and includes the older 1956 section. The jail annex is not considered part of the courthouse by the NRHP as it was added many decades after completion of the 1915 courthouse.

Okanogan County Courthouse

The Okanogan County Courthouse is a unique and quite well preserved example of Mission—Style architecture that stands like a patriarch overlooking the city of Okanogan. It was built in 1915 as the result of the movement of county government from Conconully to Okanogan, which became the third county seat in Washington's largest county. It is a local landmark that not only represents thought and architecture of another time but also encompasses over 100 years of Okanogan County history. For those pioneers who struggled, toiled and waited for the development of the country, the establishment of the courthouse at a permanent location marked the beginning of a brighter era for Okanogan and the county.

The creation of Okanogan County marked a climax of an evolution which began after Americans in the Willamette Valley decided to claim an enormous territory—the "Oregon Country," extending from California north to Russian America (Alaska) and from the Pacific east to the Rocky Mts. An Oregon provisional government was formed in 1843 which created four huge counties including the Calackamas, the first entity to include the Okanogan. Through the years the Okanogan country was finally reduced to its present shape and size, 5,295 square miles, in 1899.

On the morning of December 28th, 1914, the county offices opened up for business at Okanogan in the old Freer store building, which had been fixed up as a temporary courthouse to house the auditor, treasurer, assessor, engineer and the clerk of the court. The prosecutor was in an office over the post office and a makeshift jail was fixed up in the Miller Building. Court was- held in the city council chamber.

County commissioners ... proceeded without delay to arrange for the building of a new courthouse. George H. Keith, an architect from Spokane, was employed to prepare plans. The contract for building the structure was let on January 6, 1915, to D. D. Davenport of Omak... ...The site selected was the one which had been donated for that purpose by Chas. C. Woodhouse, Jr., of Republic, Washington, which was all of Block 11 in the original townsite of North Alma, in Okanogan County.

The first ground was broken about March 1st and the corner stone was laid April 16, 1915, after which there was a parade with three town bands, a city-wide celebration and a ball game in the afternoon, all with a huge crowd: in attendance. The building was sufficiently completed for occupancy shortly after mid-October and the moving of the officials to the new building occurred on the 20th day of October.

Keith's statement of the cost of the courthouse, together with furnishings and improvements, was $37,018.23, and value of real estate donated to the county was $3,000.
From the NRHP Registration Form
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Address:
149 North Third Avenue
v, WA United States
98840


Open to the public: Yes

Hours:
Monday-Friday: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm


Fees?:
0


Web link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Retired Prisons
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.