Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Arizona Historical Markers
 allows ratings
Description:
This category documents the historical markers found in Arizona.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Arizona Historical Markers

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 530 Page: 16 of 22 prev<<<[11121314151617181920]>>>next
Image for In Honor of Mormon Battalionview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersIn Honor of Mormon Battalion

in Arizona Historical Markers

Their march of some 2,000 miles from Council Bluffs to California is one of the longest military marches in history.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/6/2010

last visited: 3/14/2015

Image for Charles Debrille Postonview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersCharles Debrille Poston

in Arizona Historical Markers

Charles Debrille Poston was an American explorer, prospector, author, politician, and civil servant. He is referred to as the "Father of Arizona" due to his efforts lobbying for creation of the territory.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/6/2010

last visited: 12/5/2013

Image for Grand Ave - Frank Reed Schoolview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersGrand Ave - Frank Reed School

in Arizona Historical Markers

Grand Ave. School was founded in 1928 as a grammar school, grades one through eight, for the African American children of Nogales.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/4/2010

last visited: never

Image for Montezuma Hotelview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersMontezuma Hotel

in Arizona Historical Markers

The Montezuma Hotel, built in 1886, rebuilt twice, and closed in 1965, was the center of Nogales business and social life for more than half a century.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/4/2010

last visited: never

Image for Mowry Mineview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersMowry Mine

in Arizona Historical Markers

In 1860 Sylvester Mowry purchased the Patagonia Mine and renamed it the Mowry Mine. A number of Apache attacks and killings occurred at or near this mine.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/4/2010

last visited: 11/20/2010

Image for John Ward's Ranchview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersJohn Ward's Ranch

in Arizona Historical Markers

On January 27, 1861, Indians raided John Ward's ranch on Sonoita Creek, abducting Ward's stepson and stealing cattle. The incident ignited a war that would not be resolved until 1872.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/4/2010

last visited: 3/21/2018

Image for Cady Hall - Patagonia Hotelview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersCady Hall - Patagonia Hotel

in Arizona Historical Markers

The Patagonia Hotel, now home to the Patagonia Library and Cady Hall, was constructed by adventurer, chef, soldier, stage driver and sheep rancher John H. Cady between 1901 and 1912.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/4/2010

last visited: 7/8/2010

Image for Patagonia Depotview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersPatagonia Depot

in Arizona Historical Markers

The Patagonia Depot was sold in about 1950 to a local businessman, but a local Rotarian purchased it from him. After the Patagonia-Sonoita Club's partial restoration, the Town purchased the building, which still serves as the Town Hall.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/4/2010

last visited: never

Image for Sentinel Peakview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersSentinel Peak

in Arizona Historical Markers

Used as a lookout and for signal fires by the Indians prior to and since 1692 and later by early settlers

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/1/2019

Image for Churches in Tubacview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersChurches in Tubac

in Arizona Historical Markers

Tubac's most famous Spanish resident was Juan Bautista de Anza. While stationed at Tubac (1760-1776), de Anza built the chapel of Santa Gertrudis, the foundations of which lie beneath today's St. Ann's Church.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 12/21/2021

Image for Tubac Schoolsview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersTubac Schools

in Arizona Historical Markers

T. Lillie Mercer, Sabino Otero and others established the Tubac town site in 1882, built the Tubac School in 1885, and they organized the Tubac Scouts in 1866 to fight the Apaches.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 12/21/2021

Image for Presidio of Tubacview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersPresidio of Tubac

in Arizona Historical Markers

Tubac remembers its origins at the Tubac Presidio State Historic Park located in the village's Old Town, and no visit to Tubac is complete without a stop at Arizona's First State Park.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: never

Image for Tubacview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersTubac

in Arizona Historical Markers

The Art Colony of Tubac was established in 1752 as a Spanish presidio (fort). Working artists' studios now surround the grounds which once served as the home for a Spanish military garrison.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 12/27/2020

Image for Battle at Picachoview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersBattle at Picacho

in Arizona Historical Markers

Dedicated to those Confederate frontiersmen who occupied Arizona Territory, C.S.A., created by President Jefferson Davis, February 14, 1862.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 3/4/2015

Image for John Keating Houseview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersJohn Keating House

in Arizona Historical Markers

This single-story adobe, built in 1888, retains its basic integrity as an example of the symmetrical, pyramidal-roofed, Late-Transitional style

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for Florence Woman's Clubview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersFlorence Woman's Club

in Arizona Historical Markers

This building’s architects were Lescher and Mahoney, the same firm that designed Florence Union High School. Arizona State Prison inmates completed the construction in 1929 at a cost of $9,420.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for John P. Clum Houseview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersJohn P. Clum House

in Arizona Historical Markers

The home was built by John Clum, an Indian agent, editor and publisher of Florence’s first newspaper, the Arizona Citizen. He also was the founder and editor of the Tombstone Epitaph and was Tombstone’s first mayor.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for White-McCarthy Lumber and Hardware Companyview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersWhite-McCarthy Lumber and Hardware Company

in Arizona Historical Markers

This single-story commercial building includes a partial basement, wide-open interior spaces, and a Main Street facade of exposed pressed brick. A metal surface covers the flat, wood-framed roof.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for C. G. Powell People's Storeview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersC. G. Powell People's Store

in Arizona Historical Markers

This is one of the few buildings in Florence exemplifying the Neo-Classical Revival style applied to a small commercial building. It was designed by Lescher and Kibbey of Phoenix, the leading architectural firm in Arizona from 1915 to 1930.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for Mauk Buildingview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersMauk Building

in Arizona Historical Markers

This building was one of three built by early movie-house mogul and later U.S. Marshal, George Mauk. A portion of the Isis Theater was located on the same site. On December 22, 1924, a fire destroyed half of this Main Street block.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for Second E.N. Fish and Company Storeview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersSecond E.N. Fish and Company Store

in Arizona Historical Markers

The second site of the E.N. Fish & Co. Mercantile Store became the Joseph Collingwood & Co. Store and Wells Fargo Office in 1877.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 7/18/2017

Image for La Capilla del Gilaview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersLa Capilla del Gila

in Arizona Historical Markers

The 10-room “Capilla Complex” has served as a school (St. Theresa’s Academy for Girls), a parish hall, a recreation center, a food distribution center for the needy and indigent housing during the Depression.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 3/4/2020

Image for Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Churchview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersAssumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church

in Arizona Historical Markers

The building is the best example of Mission Revival Style in Central Arizona. The previous church on the site burned in 1893.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 3/4/2020

Image for Jesus Martinez Houseview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersJesus Martinez House

in Arizona Historical Markers

In 1886, Pinal County converted part of the building into the first County Hospital. It had six beds. Each had a horsehair mattress and a wool blanket. By 1890, the house was used as a meat market, store and residences.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 1/26/2012

Image for Conrad Brunenkant Buildingview gallery
Log it!

Arizona Historical MarkersConrad Brunenkant Building

in Arizona Historical Markers

This two-story red-brick commercial building was constructed in 1890 for Conrad Brunenkant, a Dutch-born baker and grocer.

posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member leadhiker

location: Arizona

date approved: 5/3/2010

last visited: 8/2/2017

Total Records: 530 Page: 16 of 22 prev<<<[11121314151617181920]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)