Former Knights of Pythias Hall - Lewistown, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 03.831 W 109° 25.685
12T E 619361 N 5213458
Quick Description: Flanked by a pair of brick buildings of similar vintage, the McDonald & Charters Block, once home to the Lewistown branch of the Knights of Pythias, now houses a church.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 1:49:22 PM
Waymark Code: WM108PM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
Construction on this two storey brick business block commenced on September 25, 1905 with the laying of the foundation. Completion took place around the First of June of the next year. The original tenants were the Lewistown Bakery, operated by Francis Sullivan, and C. E. Shoemaker & Co., a mortgage company, while the Knights of Pythias met in an upstairs lodge hall.

The following news article relates the story of the installation of officers for 1906, which took place July 16, 1906 in the lodge hall of the McDonald & Charters Block. The lodge continued to meet in the building until 1914, at which time it partnered with the IOOF in the construction of a three storey brick lodge on the corner of Main Street and First Avenue.

FINE NEW HALL IS DEDICATED
Kniqhts of Pvthias and Rathbone Sisters Publicly Install Officers Before Big Crowd
July 17, 1906 | Fergus County Democrat

The Knights of Pythias and the Rathbone Sisters gave a public installation of officers last evening, fully two hundred knights and ladles and their friends witnessing, the very interesting ceremonies.

The Installations were held in the new Knights of Pythias hall in the Charters McDonald building. The hall has been furnished with elegant lodge furniture and presents a beautiful appearance. This very excellent effect was heightened by the artistic decoration which were arranged by the Sisters.

O. W. Belden, retiring Chancellor Commander of the Knights, acted as master of ceremonies and filled that difficult position in a most acceptable manner. E. O. Busenburg was Installing Officer for the Knights and Mrs. W. W. Bennet acted in that capacity for the Sisters.

Following the installation exercises a fine lunch was served by the ladies. Mr. Quane who is in the city in the interest of the insurance feature of the Knights of Pythias delivered an interesting address along general lodge lines.

After supper, the music started up and dancing was the order until the early morning. Altogether, it was one of the most delightful occasions of the year in fraternal circles.
From the Fergus County Democrat

Photo goes Here

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Knights of Pythias
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.