Knights of Pythias Hall (former) - Glasgow, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 13.576 W 092° 50.830
15S E 513191 N 4341897
Quick Description: "Visited the building--Henderson's Drug Store and their soda fountain on Friday, July 9,2010 while searching for information on the old Glasgow Railroad Bridge. Had an old fashioned ice cream soda there. It's been a family business for generations."
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 2/11/2020 4:12:10 AM
Waymark Code: WM122QB
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Hobo Larry
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of building: Howard County
Location of building: 1st St & Market St., SW corner, Glasgow
Built: 1875
Architectural Style: Commercial Vernacular

"523 First Street: Currently the site of Henderson's Drug Store, this building was probably constructed as the Knights of Pythias hall in 1875. As noted in the building descriptions, it was originally three stories high on First Street, thus four stories on Water, and one of the tallest structures in the vicinity. In addition to the lodge rooms on the upper stories, other businesses have occupied the first floor on First Street and the ground floor facing Water Street. The building's architectural integrity has diminished, since two stories have been removed, however, the interior retains its tin ceiling and an exceptionally well-preserved soda fountain, back counter, and booths which date to the late 1940s/early 1950s. Historically, the building's significance is bound up with the 150-year history of the firm that has occupied it since 1916. Henderson's Drug Store is now operated by the fifth generation of the family that began it in 1841. Although it has occupied different buildings at different points in its history, the firm has been located in this structure since 1916. It represents the oldest ongoing business in Glasgow and is likely to be one of the oldest family-owned pharmacies in the United States.

"523 First Street: (1874-1875) One story vernacular brick (common bond) commercial building. The structure has a brick foundation and a. tar roof. The three-bay facade has painted cast iron pilasters inscribed "Christopher & Co., St. Louis" and metal and wood steps leading to a recessed central door between single-light fixed display sash with opaque glass transoms. Cut sandstone pilasters appear at the outer edges of the storefront. The interior features a metal ceiling installed after a fire in 1947; the soda fountain, removed during the Depression, was reinstalled in 1951. The building extends the full depth of the block to Water Street, where because of the sloping site, it is two stories high. This five-course common bond brick Water Street facade is three bays wide, with a central pedestrian entrance on the ground level flanked by 2/2 rectangular sash with stone sills, all openings under segmental arches of double header bricks. Above are three segmentally arched 2/2 sash of the same general design. Between the stories and centrally placed is a decorative anchor iron. Originally, this building was three stories high on First Street, but tornado damage in 1885 caused the removal of the third floor. The second floor, long used as a meeting place for fraternal organizations, was removed in 1963 for fear of structural inadequacy. (Contributing)" ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Knights of Pythias
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.