Pacific Hotel - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.690 W 091° 00.763
15S E 673147 N 4269989
Quick Description: Today the hotel front area is Marquarts Landing restaurant and the back side is a new address and Penn Station restaurant....
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 8/8/2020 6:49:42 AM
Waymark Code: WM12YKQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Franklin County
Location of building: W. Front St. & Elm St., SW corner, Washington
Built: 1855
Marker Erected by: Washington Historical Society
Classified: A-3
Current Occupant: Marquarts Landing & Penn Station
District Map

Marker text:

PACIFIC HOUSE
C. H. Kahmann had Pacific House built as a tavern and hotel to accommodate passengers on the just-completed Pacific Railroad. Sold to Frederick Wohlgemuth in 1857, it has continued as a tavern under numerous owners.
1855

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
Federal/Greek Revival, circa 1849 - 1895, Coded A. This group is largely represented by vernacular interpretations of Federal and/or Greek Revival styles; it contains one of the largest single collections of buildings (about one-fourth of the total) and enjoyed the greatest longevity. All rest on stone foundations and all except two are brick. The majority are three bays wide and rise two stories with first story utilized as commercial space and -second for residential; ...

"Residential (c. 1849 - 1930) . Coded 3, This designation denotes fifteen buildings used only for residential purposes (all are detached, single-family except for two detached, multi-family), as well as numerous buildings which mix residential use with commercial and a few which are institutional/residential or industrial/residential and are doubled coded as such." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"One of the first brick hotels in Washington was erected in 1855, the same year the railroad reached Washington. Located at the southwest corner of Front and Elm across from the Pacific Railroad depot, the hostelry was aptly named the Pacific Hotel. The building, which also housed the "Cheap Cash Store", was erected by Christopher H. Kahmann (1826-94) who had first settled in Cincinnati after leaving Hannover, Germany when he was eighteen. His work as a boat steward brought him to St.Louis where he moved around 1847 to manage a hotel and restaurant. 8y the time Kahmann moved to Washington in 1855, he obviously had acquired considerable capital for investment. That same year he purchased the west half of Block 35 in Mense's Addition where he established the town's first pork packing plant, and later, in 1868, built the large two-story, six-bay brick building standing at the northeast corner of Second and Elm. Kahmann's enterprising spirit earned him a reputation as one of the town's great boosters and promoters; an accolade in the 1888 Frankl in County History noted that "for years he was the most influential and substantial citizen of Washington." ...

"In 1858, Kahmann sold the Pacific Hotel to Frederick Wohlgemuth from Hesse Kassel. ..." ~ NRHP Nomination Form, PDF pages 18 & 19



Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.