Pathological Department / Old Pathology Building
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose
N 39° 46.174 W 086° 12.794
16S E 567384 N 4402478
Quick Description: Located next to the garden at the Indiana Medical History Museum.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 9/28/2021 10:44:26 PM
Waymark Code: WM151VR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Muirwoody
Views: 0

Long Description:
Front:
Pathological Department

Dr. George F. Edenharter established a teaching and research laboratory for Central Indiana Hospital for the Insane in 1896. Among the earliest facilities to use scientific methods to study the causes of mental diseases, it represented a shift from mere custodial care to the development of useful treatments. Architect Adolph Scherrer designed the 19-room structure.

Back:
Old Pathology Building

Pathologists and neurologists at the facility used autopsy and chemical analyses to study mental illness. The lab received national attention for new technologies and work space design. In 1925, staff were among the first to study and use malarial treatment for neurosyphilis and by 1944 conducted trials for penicillin. The building was saved as a museum in 1969..
County: Marion

Year Placed: 2019

Name: Pathological Department / Old Pathology Building

ID#: 49.2019.4

Visit Instructions:
Post a photo of: the marker in relation to its surroundings, other details of the site, you or a team member at the location, etc.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Indiana Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.