Tombs of John and Mary Vernon - All Saints Church - Sudbury, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 53.202 W 001° 46.032
30U E 582948 N 5860378
The memorial tombs of John and Mary Vernon are located inside the Parish Church of All Saints on main Road in Sudbury.
Waymark Code: WM102BJ
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 02/11/2019
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member silverquill
Views: 0

All Saints Church is an Anglican Church in the Diocese of Derby. The church is located adjacent to Sudbury Hall ancestral home of the Vernon family now owned by the National Trust.

All Saints Church is a Grade II* listed building that dates from, C12, early C14, early C15, 1827 and extensive restoration 1872-5 by George Devey. A full detailed description by British Listed Buildings can be seen at the following link: (visit link)

The Vernon Chapel contains a memorial of John Vernon and his wife Mary Vernon, whose first husband was Walter Vernon of Houndhill, Staffordshire. Her grandson George is regarded as the builder of Sudbury Hall.

The description by British Listed Buildings is as follows;
"In the north chapel:John Vernon died 1600 and his wife Mary died 1622, she on a tomb chest, he above under an arch between baluster columns."

A framed information sheet located on the wall, gives the following information;
"The Monuments Adjoining are those of John Vernon and of his wife Mary daughter of Sir Edward Littleton.
The inscription on John VERNON'S tomb reads as follows;
"Here lyeth the bodye of John Vernon Esquier the sonne of Henry Verno
sonne of Sr Joh Verno knight and ofHellen one of the daughters and co-heires of Sr John Mountgomery by which Hellen the mannor of Sudburie and dyvers other lordshippes & lineallie descended unto the said John Vernon who deceased at Upton in the Countie of Essex the 8th day of July ano dni 1600 ffrom whence his bodie was convayed & here interred and this Monument erected by Mary his wyffe daughter to Sr Edward Littleton of Pillaton hall in the Countie of Staff. knight"

The inscription on his wife's tomb reads:-

"Here is interred ye bodie of Mary daughter of Sr Edw.Littleto wife first to Walter Vernon of Houndhill Esq. to whom she bare 5 sons and 4 daughters. After 7 years widowhood she married John Vernon of Sudbury Esq whose lands (formerly past away for his redemption being enthralled for his friends by suertiship) were by her prudent endeavours redeemed and brought to his disposing who (having noe issue him-self) appointed the Lordships of Sudbury and Aston with their members to her for life remainder to her 3 sons(then living) and their heires male successively. And when many assurances leases rent-charges annuities and guifts were by him appointed to frends tenants servants and the poore which great adversaries did oppose she (as a virtuous patronesse to them ) with great care and travel and at her proper charges maintained their cause against their adversaries and brought the same to good effect and to the great benefits of them all. Such was her charitie and virtuous mind she built a mannor house at Sudbury
; she contributed largely to the maintaining of this church; she gave by will xli ye poor of the parish and xx nobles to ye poore of Marchington, and rewards to every servant. And having lived a virtuous matrone 22years in her later widowhood maintaining good hospitalitie to the daily relief of ye poore she willingly and in godly manner exchanged this life for a better the 17th day of Dec.1622 in ye 62 year of her age. To whose memorie her eldest sonne Edward Vernon Esq. caused this monument to be erected."

Sir John VERNON, mentioned above, who married Hellen, daughter and co-heiress of Sir John MONTGOMERY of Sudbury, was the youngest son of Sir Henry VERNON of Haddon. Sir John died in 1505 and is buried at Clifton Camville."

There has been a church at Sudbury since before the Domesday survey, although the church as it stands now was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. The church was later enlarged and restored in the 19th century. The Norman south doorway and a small window in the chapel remain.
The Church was extensively restored by the 6th Lord Vernon's architect, George Devey, in 1873-83. The tower was raised, windows replaced and pews installed. There are fine family monuments in the church, some dating from as early as the 1600s. A church has existed on this site since the Early Middle Ages.
The east window was a gift from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, as Queen Adelaide had lived at Sudbury Hall.
The church contains numerous memorials and monuments of the Vernon family. One particularly touching one is an oval plaque showing two children who died in 1862- they are shown sleeping, with a few trails of blossom surrounding them. Source: (visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: 1600

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.