Robert Kelway Monument - St Peter & St Paul - Exton, Rutland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 41.432 W 000° 38.366
30U E 659537 N 5840460
Quick Description: An elaborate marble monument with recumbent effigy of Robert Kelway, lawyer (d. 1580), in St Peter & St Paul's church, Wxton.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/12/2019 12:38:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM10HWN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dragontree
Views: 1

Long Description:
"Against the south wall of the south transept is a large coloured marble monument with recumbent effigy of Robert Kelway, lawyer (d. 1580), erected by his daughter Ann and her husband John, Lord Harington, who are represented kneeling on either side of a small altar tomb on which is a child's recumbent figure: behind the lady is a young daughter. The monument bears a long Latin inscription."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Inscription translation -
Here lies Robert Kelwey a distinguished esquire amongst civilians (whilst he lived); renowned for talent, learning and virtue, who loved retirement, lived as a Christian and died in the Lord on the 21st of February in the year of our Salvation, 1580, and the 84th year of his age. He left Anne his sole heiress and only most dearly loved daughter married to John Harrington of Exton, Knt., whom he had always affectionately loved as a son and friend, by which Anne the said John had during the life of the aforesaid Robert two children, a son, Kelwey, who died Dec. 2nd, 1570, 21 weeks old and lies buried here with his grandfather, and also a daughter Lucy still surviving, and may God grant her a long life. To pay, therefore, a just tribute to so dear and affectionate a parent and to leave to posterity an evidence of their deep gratitude, the said John and Anne have raised this monument and dedicated it to their father, Keylwey, and their son, Keylwey (to their lasting memory if it so please God) and design it, if God will, as a sepulchre for themselves also.

"Robert Keilway (alias Kellway, Keylway, Kaylway, Kelloway, etc.) (1497–1581) of Minster Lovell Hall in Oxfordshire, was an English politician and court official.

He was the son of Robert Keilway of Salisbury and educated at Oxford University and the Inner Temple.

He was appointed Surveyor of the Court of Wards and Liveries in 1546 and Custos Rotulorum of Berkshire in 1549. He was elected a Member of Parliament for Bristol (1545 and 1547) and for Steyning in 1559. He was legal advisor to Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset, Lord Protector of England and appointed serjeant-at-law in 1552.

He married Cecily Bulstrode, a daughter of Edward Bulstrode of Hedgerley in Buckinghamshire and widow of Sir Alexander Unton of Wadley House in the parish of Faringdon, Berkshire (now Oxfordshire). He was therefore the step-father of Sir Edward Unton. By his wife he had progeny including:

* Anne Keilway (c. 1554–1620), wife of John Harington, 1st Baron Harington of Exton.

His magnificent monument with effigy, erected by his daughter and son-in-law, survives in Exton Church,"

SOURCE - (visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: 1580

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.