The Birthplace of 4-H in Missouri - Ironton, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 37° 35.868 W 090° 37.668
15S E 709420 N 4163837
Quick Description: In 1914 it began here...
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 8/26/2019 7:57:33 AM
Waymark Code: WM116Q5
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of marker: Iron County
Location of marker: Main St., right hand side of courthouse door, Ironton
Marker erected: October 5, 1974
Erected by: Te Iron County 4-H Council, The Iron County Court, The University of Missouri Extension Council, & The Missouri 4-H Foundation

Marker Text:

[four leaf clover with an "H" on each leaf]

IRON COUNTY

THE "BIRTHPLACE OF 4-H" IN MISSOURI

1914


Recognition is given to B. P. Burnham, then County Superintendent of Schools, for is originality, foresight and leadership in organizing the first 4-H clubs in Missouri: one at a high school in Ironton, the other at the one room King School near Annapolis.

From the beginning in 1914 the membership in 4-H has grown to more than 50,000 members in Missouri. Membership in 4-H offers a healthy and positive learning experience for youth. Thousands of boys and girls have had the opportunity to enrich their lives by putting into practice the motto, "to make the best better."

In recognition of the founder, the charter members, all 4-H leaders and members, and friends of 4-H, this plaque was dedicated on October 5, 1974, by the Iron County 4-H Council, together with the Iron County Court, The University of Missouri Extension Council, and the Missouri 4-H Foundation.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"In 1914, Iron County established a "Corn Club" at the Ironton High School. This Corn Club was Missouri's first major development for extension. Seven boys joined this club, which was led by B. P. Burnham, Ironton school superintendent. The boys each raised an acre of corn, using the very latest agricultural research to gain improved yields. These Corn Clubs (and the girl's version, Canning Clubs) helped introduce modern methods of growing and preserving farm products. In the 1920s, these Corn and Canning Clubs were renamed 4-H Clubs, emphasizing agricultural and homemaking skills. 4-H has come a long way in the intervening years, with projects ranging from computers and rocketry to veterinary science and robots — and everything in between." The UofM Extension


Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.