Baptism Font [redundant] - St Andrew - Glaston, Rutland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 35.722 W 000° 40.694
30U E 657256 N 5829791
Alabaster bowl, a former font, in the porch of St Andrew's church, Glaston.
Waymark Code: WM11JVA
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/03/2019
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

This alabaster bowl was the predecessor to the current font and is from the 17th century. It has been built into the east wall of the porch.

"remodelling [of the church], was begun about 1340–45 by the widening and extension eastward of the aisle, which was made to overlap the tower on its north side, the intention being also to lengthen the nave westward by a bay. The work was started at the east end of the aisle and set out in four bays, but when the north-west corner was reached and the westward extension thus begun the work was suddenly stopped. The new aisle was then probably roofed and the old west wall temporarily built up to the north wall, the rest of the work being left unfinished. At the east end the northeast corner of the nave had to be rebuilt and a new arch was cut through the north wall of the tower at its west end to give access to the extended aisle. If, as is not unlikely, the stoppage of work was due to the Black Death (1349) its beginning cannot have been very long before the middle of the century, and it was probably about 1370 before it was resumed. The original intention may have been to rebuild the arcade to correspond with the bays of the aisle, but this was not done, though the arches appear to have been altered to a pointed shape at this time. The north-west angle of the nave was left standing and the western extension made by building a plain narrow arch against it in continuation of the arcade, the old west wall being taken down after the completion of the new one, and the western portion of the south wall of the nave rebuilt. Very shortly after the remainder of the south wall also was rebuilt, a buttress having first been set out near to its east end, where probably the old wall was becoming insecure, and the porch and clearstory erected.

No structural changes of importance were made in the 15th century, though a new window appears to have been inserted in the aisle, and a rood-loft, of which traces remain, was probably first erected. In the 16th or early 17th century, new windows were inserted in the bell-chamber and in the lower stage of the tower, and the east tower arch was remodelled. The porch is said to have been rebuilt in 1622, and in 1699 a singing gallery was erected at the west end of the nave. The chancel was restored in 1863, and the nave in 1864. At a later restoration, in 1880, the porch was again rebuilt."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: Not listed

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.