Tomb Slabs - All Saints - Rampton, Cambridgeshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 17.553 E 000° 05.588
31U E 301766 N 5797557
Saxon tomb slabs in All Saints' church, Rampton.
Waymark Code: WM11PHD
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/26/2019
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Dragontree
Views: 1

Two Saxon tomb slabs in the north aisle wall of All Saints' church, Rampton.

"The church, dedicated to ALL SAINTSby 1518, consists of chancel, nave with south aisle and porch and north vestry, and west tower, mostly built of field stones with ashlar dressings. The thatched nave roof is one of only two surviving in Cambridgeshire. Evidence for a 12th-century building comprising nave and chancel exists in the three-shafted jambs and scalloped capitals of the chancel arch, in a blocked round-headed window in the north wall of the nave, and in chevron voussoirs re-used in the east wall. The unbuttressed tower, which has slim lancets in its second stage, was begun in the later 12th or the 13th century, and the south aisle was added in the 14th. Its arcade was originally of three bays. The east end of the aisle retains a piscina.

The chancel was rebuilt in the first half of the 14th century. It has two-light windows in its north and south walls and one of five lights in the east. An ogee-arched tomb recess in the north wall was probably inserted slightly later. In the 18th century the windows still contained armorial glass commemorating the Lisle family. The chancel arch was rebuilt with the chancel, using the 12th-century jambs and probably resetting them for a wider arch. The battlemented top stage of the tower was completed in the 14th century, but its window tracery has almost entirely vanished. The windows in the nave north wall are also 14th-century, the easternmost having a niche in its east jamb. In the 15th century the tower arch was rebuilt, a new west window was inserted, and a fourth western bay was added to the arcade.

There was a south porch by 1658, but it was evidently replaced by the present red-brick and tile porch after 1744. The aisle and chancel were tiled by 1744 and perhaps by 1665. Tracery throughout the church was much decayed and that of the east window had been replaced by two plain mullions by the mid 19th century. A thorough restoration was put in hand when C. H. Evelyn-White became rector in 1894. The first stage c. 1898 revealed several layers of painting on the north wall of the nave, including a masonry pattern with foliage, possibly 13thcentury, and a late 15th-century St. Christopher, both of which survived in 1985. Work continued over many years: the south wall of the chancel was repaired in 1910 and the east window was restored in 1924 on the basis of an earlier drawing and fragments found re-used in a nearby barn. At the same time six Anglo-Saxon sculptural fragments found in the church were reset on the inside of the east wall. The rubble and brick vestry was added in 1937."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: Not listed

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.