Eglise Saint Jean-Baptiste - Fontenay le Comte, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 27.968 W 000° 47.927
30T E 669006 N 5148193
An old church marked by the wars of religion. Une vieille eglise marquée par les guerres de religion.
Waymark Code: WM11W14
Location: Pays de la Loire, France
Date Posted: 12/26/2019
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

sacred source: Heritage:
Placed under the protection of Jean Baptiste, the current church dates mainly from the XVth century.

- From the 11th to the 15th century

A primitive church already existed in the Middle Ages (1050) in this suburb located outside the city walls. In the 13th century it became a parish church and needed to grow. In 1269 the count of Poitou, brother of St Louis, made a donation with a view to its enlargement and its repair. The plagues of the time: plague, leprosy, misery, wars with the English ruined the provinces and St Jean was again wiped out.

From 1425 to 1450 major works were undertaken: “Saint Jean was rebuilt to new. The current church keeps the lines and proportions given at that time: the interior with three naves, a few capitals, the south door with a blazing warhead, the bell tower copied from that of Notre-Dame.

- From XVIth to XVIIIth century
During the wars of religion (1560) Saint Jean Baptiste (like Notre-Dame) is pillaged by the Huguenots. The pillars are undermined and the vaults collapse. The city is burned; St. John’s Church is largely destroyed. It was not restored until 1604, as shown by an inscription located in the south aisle: “in 1568, iay was ruined; in 1604 iay was rebuilt. "
At first, the vaults are redone in wood, then in stone a little later as evidenced by the date "1637" on a keystone of the nave and "April 2, 1636" in the chapel of the Virgin. The funeral inscription located on the 2nd right pillar "the body of Michel Porcher lies here ..." also dates from this time. It can be the architect of the monument or someone generous to the church.

After the revolution of 1789, due to the annexation of St Medard and the merger of the parishes St Nicolas and St Jean, the church became too small. The semicircular vaults of the nave push so hard against the walls and the buttresses that they lose their balance. We then decided to build two chapels North and South with the double aim of enlarging and consolidating the building. They constitute a false transept and take the name of the two attached parishes: St Nicolas chapel in the South, St Médard chapel in the North.

- The XIXth century: a period of embellishment
A statue of the Virgin, sculpted by Barrême, was blessed in March 1852.

The altar of the "Chapelle des agonisants" on a plan by Octave de Rochebrune was created by Barrême (1853). The bas-relief represents Jesus in the Garden of Olives.

The stained glass window of the baptism of Christ, executed by the workshop of the Carmelites of Le Mans (1860) is surrounded by sculptures by M Drapron.

Octave de Rochebrune's main altar on plan is made by Victor Drapron (1869) of undeniable talent.

The stained glass window depicting scenes from the life of John the Baptist is the work of Mr. Lusson.

the pipe organ (disappeared) made by the Debierre workshop in Nantes (1888)

the two confessionals leave the Magnils-Reigner's workshops (1901)

two bells: Mary mother of mercy and Joan of Arc (1902)

Pietà: carved wooden group, painted in monochrome white, is a work from the mid-19th century attributed to Nantes sculptor Guillaume Grooters. It comes from the Calvary of Merit erected following a mission preached in 1714 by Father de Montfort.

After the law (1905) of separation of Church and State, the Church of Saint John the Baptist was classified as a historic monument in 1906.


source sacrePatrimoine :
Placée sous la protection de Jean Baptiste, l’église actuelle date en majeure partie du XVème siècle.

- Du XIème au XVème siècle

Une église primitive existe déjà au Moyen-Age (1050) dans ce faubourg situé en dehors des remparts de la ville. Au XIIIème siècle elle devient église paroissiale et a besoin de s’agrandir. En 1269 le comte de Poitou, frère de St Louis, fait un don en vue de son agrandissement et sa réfection. Les fléaux de l’époque : peste, lèpre, misère, guerres avec les Anglais ruinent les provinces et St Jean est à nouveau anéantie.

De 1425 à 1450 de grands travaux sont entrepris : « Saint Jean fut reconstruite à neuf. » L’église actuelle garde les lignes et proportions données à cette époque : l’intérieur à trois nefs, quelques chapiteaux, la porte sud à ogive flamboyante, le clocher copié sur celui de Notre-Dame.

- Du XVIème au XVIIIème siècle
Pendant les guerres de religion (1560) Saint Jean Baptiste (comme Notre-Dame) est pillée par les huguenots. Les piliers sont sapés et les voûtes s’écroulent. La ville est incendiée ; l’église St Jean est en grande partie détruite. Elle ne sera remise en état qu’en 1604 comme l’atteste une inscription située dans le bas-côté sud : « en 1568, iay esté ruinée ; en 1604 iay esté réédifiée. »
Dans un premier temps, les voûtes sont refaites en bois, puis en pierre un peu plus tard comme l’atteste la date « 1637 » sur une clef de voûte de la nef et « 2 avril 1636 » dans la chapelle de la Vierge. L’inscription funéraire située au 2ème pilier droit « le corps de Michel Porcher git ici… » date aussi de cette époque. Il peut s’agir de l’architecte du monument ou d’une personne généreuse envers l’église.

Après la révolution de 1789, en raison de l’annexion de St Médard et de la fusion des paroisses St Nicolas et St Jean, l’église devient trop petite. Les voûtes en plein cintre de la nef font une telle poussée sur les murs et les contreforts qu’ils perdent leur aplomb. On décide alors de construire deux chapelles Nord et Sud dans le double but d’agrandir et de consolider l’édifice. Elles constituent un faux transept et prennent le nom des deux paroisses rattachées : chapelle St Nicolas au Sud, chapelle St Médard au Nord.

- Le XIXème siècle : une période d’embellissement
Une statue de la Vierge, sculptée par Barrême, est bénie en mars 1852.

L’autel de la « Chapelle des agonisants » sur un plan d’Octave de Rochebrune est réalisé par Barrême (1853). Le bas-relief représente Jésus au jardin des Oliviers.

Le vitrail du baptême du Christ, exécuté par l’atelier des Carmélites du Mans (1860) est entouré de sculptures de M Drapron.

Le maître-autel sur plan d’Octave de Rochebrune est réalisé par Victor Drapron (1869) au talent incontestable.

Le vitrail relatant des scènes de la vie de Jean Baptiste est l’œuvre de M Lusson.

l’orgue à tuyaux (disparu) fabriqué par l’atelier Debierre de Nantes (1888)

les deux confessionnaux sortent des ateliers des Magnils-Reigner (1901)

deux cloches : Marie mère de miséricorde et Jeanne d’Arc (1902)

Pietà: groupe en bois sculpté, peint en blanc monochrome, est une œuvre du milieu du 19ème attribuée au sculpteur nantais Guillaume Grooters. Elle provient du calvaire de Mérité érigé à la suite d’une mission prêchée en 1714 par le Père de Montfort..

Après la loi (1905) de séparation de l’Eglise et de l’Etat, l’église Saint Jean Baptiste est classée monument historique en 1906.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1500

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
rue saint Jean
Fontenay le Comte, Pays de Loire France
85200


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint Jean-Baptiste - Fontenay le Comte, France 07/29/2020 sara et gege visited it