Kinston Battlefield Park-Harriet's Chapel and Starr's Battery Site - Kinston NC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe
N 35° 14.532 W 077° 35.294
18S E 264490 N 3902973
Quick Description: This site was the center of the Confederate’s final line of defense during the Dec. 13-14, 1862 Battle of Kinston. It occurred as Union General John G. Foster’s Division was enroute from New Bern to Goldsboro to destroy the Wilmington-Weldon Railroad Bridge
Location: North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 4/25/2020 3:02:22 PM
Waymark Code: WM12C8A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Turtle3863
Views: 0

Long Description:
Kinston Battlefield Park-Harriet's Chapel and Starr's Battery Site-
This site was the center of the Confederate’s final line of defense during the Dec. 13-14, 1862 Battle of Kinston. It occurred as Union General John G. Foster’s Division was enroute from New Bern to Goldsboro to destroy the Wilmington-Weldon Railroad Bridge which would cut a major supply route to General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Foster also planned to destroy the CSS Neuse gunboat under construction at White Hall (Seven Springs).

The Union advance through Lenoir County was stubbornly contested by Confederate General Nathan G. “Shanks” Evan’s Brigade; first at Southwest Creek, about four miles south on Dec. 13th and then here along the line defending Kinston on Dec. 14th. Although greatly outnumbered (~2,000 vs. ~12,000), the Confederates put a much stronger resistance than expected, but were overrun and withdrew north of the Neuse River in the direction of Goldsboro on Dec. 14th. Foster occupied Kinston overnight on the 14th but continued his movement toward Goldsboro on Dec. 15th, taking the River Road, south of the Neuse River.

Battle operational reports and diaries mentions that “small, unpainted wooden church”, known as “Harriet’s Chapel”, sat in this area. It was a focal point for both the Union and Confederate forces and was used as part of the defensive position by Confederates.

It received much damage during the fight but was used as a field hospital after the battle.

A section of the Confederate earth works are near here and lead to the site of Starr’s Battery, a Confederate artillery position. The church sitting on the site today is the New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church. It was built about 8 miles south in the 1860s. It was moved to this site in 2010, stabilized, restored and preserved by the Historical Preservation Group for use as an interpretive tool representing Harriet’s Chapel.

The site is being preserved with the help of a federal grant from the Land and Water Conservation Fund, Administered by the National Park Service. The Grounds are open to the general public. The site is owned by the Historical Preservation Group and managed by the Lenoir County Battlefields Commission — Kinston/Southwest Creek/Wyse Fork.

Location: Marker is in Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is at the intersection of Richlands Road (U.S. 258) and Measley Road, on the right when traveling north on Richlands Road. This marker is located on the grounds of the Kinston Battlefield Park. Kinston NC 28504
Related Website: [Web Link]

Terrain Rating:

Visit Instructions:
To post a log for this waymark a photo of you, the sign at the waymark with your GPS in view must be uploaded.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. Civil War Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Don.Morfe visited Kinston Battlefield Park-Harriet's Chapel and Starr's Battery Site - Kinston NC 10/4/2021 Don.Morfe visited it