Eglise Saint Christophe - Longeves, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 28.807 W 000° 51.098
30T E 664906 N 5149636
The pretty little Church of Longeves. La jolie petite Eglise de Longeves.
Waymark Code: WM12RVC
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 07/08/2020
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

En sacred source: Heritage:
Nothing remains of the old 12th century Romanesque building restored in the 17th century.

- The current limestone church was built in the 19th century in 3 successive phases:
The choir in 1869,
The transept in 1877,
The nave in 1889.

Look at the church

-- Outside

- Built on the foundations of the old church, the simple exterior building is made of walls with modest openings and a stripped decoration (frieze).
The Romanesque-style entrance portal is topped with a semicircular arch. This arc, with bare arches, rests on each side on a column with a marquee decorated with a plant motif (acanthus leaves).

- Inside

The ogival style church has a Latin cross plan. At the transept, the chapel on the left is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and the chapel on the right, fitted out with the help of the Gémonville family, in St Joseph.

- Three stained glass windows illuminate the apse: Stained glass window of Saint Christopher - Stained glass window of Saint Isidore the plowman and that of Saint Germaine.

Particularly noticeable in the choir:
The polychrome wooden statue of Saint Christopher (early 19th century),
The painted wooden cross (early 19th century),
Carved altar candlesticks (17th century), property of the diocesan association.



West France source:
For the 10th year of the patronal feast, Longèves will celebrate Saint Christophe, patron saint of travelers. This event is led by a handful of volunteers, the mayor, Simon Gerzeau, supported by Olivier Gaignet, priest of the Saint-Hilaire parish of Fontenay-le-Comte and recognized blogger.

The town, closely associated with Saint Christopher, has always paid tribute to him. In the West, it is celebrated on July 25, at harvest time. But, given the decrease in farmers in the sector and given the date of the start of the school year, it was obvious to bring this holiday to the second Sunday in September, which is why the feast of Saint Christopher has been revived since 2008 and will be celebrated on September 10.

A mass will take place at 10:30 a.m. at Saint-Christophe church, a small Romanesque-style church, but which has been reworked several times according to major historical moments: wars of religion, Revolution. However, it has retained an exceptional cachet and a history. A wooden Christ and a Saint Christopher inside are listed, as are its stained glass windows.

"In 1938, the imposing stone statue of Saint Christopher blessed was very pompously taken out of the church and placed at the entrance of the town, this monument is majestic and it is very rare for a town to see its patron saint put in evidence ”, explains Robert-Jacques Caquineau, one of the people in charge of the event.

After the religious ceremony will take place, throughout the great tradition, the blessing to travelers. Robert-Jacques Caquineau insists on the fact that it is the drivers of a vehicle (cars, trucks, scooters, bikes, quads, tractors ...) who are blessed.

For the past few years, a group of bikers has been present for the blessing. Around 100 blessings will be given by Father François Bidaud at the entrance to the church parking lot around 11:30 am This moment is both convivial and very inspiring.


Fr source sacrePatrimoine :
Rien ne subsiste de l’ancien édifice roman du XIIème siècle restauré au XVIIème.

L’église actuelle de pierres calcaires est construite au XIXème en 3 phases successives :
Le chœur en 1869,
Le transept en 1877,
La nef en 1889.

Regard sur l’église

-- A l’extérieur

- Construit sur les fondations de l’ancienne église, l’édifice de facture extérieure simple est fait de murs aux ouvertures modestes et à la décoration (frise) dépouillée.
Le portail d’entrée, d’inspiration romane, est coiffé d’un arc en plein cintre. Cet arc, aux voussures nues, repose, de chaque côté, sur une colonne au chapiteau décoré de motif végétal (feuilles d’acanthe).

- A l’intérieur

-L’église de style ogival présente un plan en croix latine. Au niveau du transept, la chapelle de gauche est dédiée à la Vierge Marie et celle de droite, aménagée grâce au concours de la famille de Gémonville, à St Joseph.

-Trois vitraux éclairent l’abside : Vitrail de saint Christophe - Vitrail de saint Isidore le laboureur et celui de sainte Germaine.

-A remarquer particulièrement dans le chœur:
La statue de saint Christophe en bois polychrome (début du XIXème siècle),
La croix en bois peint (début du XIXème),
Les chandeliers d’autel de bois taillé (XVIIème), propriété de l’association diocésaine.



source Ouest France :
Pour la 10e année de la fête patronale, Longèves va célébrer saint Christophe, patron des voyageurs. Cet événement est conduit à l'initiative d'une poignée de bénévoles, du maire, Simon Gerzeau, soutenu par Olivier Gaignet, prêtre de la paroisse Saint-Hilaire de Fontenay-le-Comte et blogueur reconnu.

La commune, très associée à saint Christophe, lui a de tout temps rendu hommage. En occident, il est fêté le 25 juillet, au moment des moissons. Mais, étant donné la diminution des agriculteurs dans le secteur et compte tenu de la date de la rentrée scolaire, c'était une évidence de ramener cette fête au deuxième dimanche de septembre, c'est pourquoi la fête de saint Christophe est relancée depuis 2008 et sera célébrée le 10 septembre.

Une grand-messe aura lieu à 10 h 30, à l'église Saint-Christophe, petite église à l'allure romane, mais qui a été remaniée à plusieurs reprises selon les grands moments historiques : guerres de religion, Révolution. Elle a cependant su conserver un cachet exceptionnel, et une histoire. Un Christ en bois et un saint Christophe à l'intérieur sont répertoriés, tout comme ses vitraux.

« En 1938, la statue imposante en pierre de saint Christophe bénite a été très pompeusement sortie de l'église et mise à l'entrée de la commune, ce monument est majestueux et il est très rare pour une commune de voir son saint Patron mis en évidence », explique Robert-Jacques Caquineau, un des responsables de l'événement.

Après la cérémonie religieuse aura lieu, dans toute la grande tradition, la bénédiction aux voyageurs. Robert-Jacques Caquineau insiste bien sur le fait que ce sont bien les conducteurs d'un véhicule (voitures, camions, trottinettes, vélos, quads, tracteurs...) qui sont bénis.

Depuis quelques années, un groupe de motards est présent à la bénédiction. Environ 100 bénédictions seront données par le père François Bidaud à l'entrée du parking de l'église vers 11 h 30. Ce moment est à la fois convivial et très inspirant.
Ouest France
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1869

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
31 rue du general Beliard
Longeves, Pays de Loire France
85200


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint Christophe - Longeves, France 12/16/2020 sara et gege visited it