Sainte Genevieve
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Markerman62
N 37° 58.745 W 090° 02.640
15S E 759630 N 4207617
Quick Description: Located on Market Street in Ste. Genevieve Lions Club Park.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 12/17/2020 7:20:32 PM
Waymark Code: WM13HCW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 4

Long Description:
Side 1
Oldest permanent settlement in Missouri founded ca. 1735 by Illinois French as river depot for lead and salt. Moved 3 miles to present site after 1785 flood. Named for the patroness sait of Paris.
A vivid reminder of claims of France and Spain to the Mississippi Valley and of the westward expansion of the United States.
Here were established a Catholic church, 1749; first Masonic lodge west of river, 1807; first academy chartered in Missouri, 1808; first U.S. recruiting office west of river, 1812.
Here are the Grand Champ of the French agricultural plots, broken by Indian mounds; the Three Notch Road, oldest in Missouri; the relic of El Camino Real or King's Highway, 1789; the State's oldest cemetery, 1787; the impressive Catholic church, 1882; the Price House, ca.1800, claimed to be first of brick west of the Mississippi; the home of Lewis F. Linn, "Model Senator from Missouri," 1833-1843.
(See other side)

Side 2
(Continued from other side)
Ornithologist John James Audubon was in a merchandising partnership here with Ferdinand Rozier, 1811.
Through the years, with the coming of Americans and a large German immigration, Ste. Genevieve has kept much of its early character. Its ancient charm lies mostly in the designs and names of its old homes.
Among many fine examples of early architecture are the Louis Bolduc House, one of oldest in the Valley; Jean Baptiste Valle House, home of last Spanish commandant; Jean Bequet-Ribault House with unusual wall construction; Janis-Ziegler House, once the Green Tree Tavern; St. Gemme Beauvais House, associated with Henri M. Breckenridge; and Guibourd House with fine casement windows.
It is of interest that here once lived U.S. Senators Henry Dodge, Wis.; Augustus C. Dodge and George W. Jones, Iowa; Lewis V. Bogy and Lewis F. Linn, Mo.; and Missouri's first congressman, John Scott.
Ste. Genevieve, seat of government for one of the 5 Spanish districts, later one of Missouri's first 5 counties, is important as a source of golden marble and an outstanding producer of quality lime.
A town museum relates to early settlement.

Erected by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission, 1953
Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Markerman62 visited Sainte Genevieve 12/18/2020 Markerman62 visited it