Clinton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 51° 05.509 W 121° 35.200
10U E 598974 N 5660985
Quick Description: Once known as "The 47 Mile", Clinton sprang into existence around 1863.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/6/2021 4:15:53 PM
Waymark Code: WM14GVV
Views: 1

Long Description:
In front of the village office is a rustic three part kiosk displaying a Clinton town map, with legends, a short treatise on the village itself, and a Clinton area map. Text from the kiosk follows.
CLINTON
Originally known as "The 47 Mile", with the completion of the Douglas-Lilloet Road in 1861 and the Yale-Cariboo Road in 1863 "The Junction" became the townsite of Clinton. The townsite became an important settlement, providing supplies and rest for travelers to the Cariboo Gold Fields. The early 1900s gave rise to the lucrative forest industry. Clinton and area boast many good facilities and a landscaped park, while still retaining the flavor of a frontier town. The village hosts the Clinton Ball, the longest running event in Canada since 1868.
Established as a stopping and supply centre for prospectors headed to the Cariboo Gold Rush, Clinton grew quickly following the completion of the Cariboo Road in 1863, which led to Barkerville and the surrounding gold fields. Originally 47 Mile or 47 Mile House, a common naming practice along the Cariboo Road, the name was changed in 1863, in honour of Henry Fiennes Pelham Clinton, the 5th Duke of Newcastle, who was colonial secretary from 1852-1854 and 1859-1864.

The original wagon road on which Clinton arose is now Highway 97, the major north-south thoroughfare through the centre of the British Columbia interior. Following much of the original Cariboo Wagon Road, it runs for 2,081 km (1,293 mi), from the Canada–United States border in the south to the British Columbia/Yukon boundary in the north.

Clinton's Village Office stands on the east side of Highway 97, now known as the Cariboo Highway, between Le Bourdais and Dewdney Avenues. Clinton itself is approximately 98 km (61 mi) northwest of Cache Creek and the junction of Highway 97 and Highway 1, the Trans Canada Highway. The third building to have occupied this location, this long, low Arts & Crafts style building has, since its construction in 1927, been expanded with additions to both the north and south. In its lifetime, it has been town hall, government agency, courthouse and jail in the concrete basement. Over the main entrance is a three dimensional rendition of the British Columbia coat of arms.

While the old Clinton Hotel is now gone, having burned down at approximately 3:45 a.m. on May 15, 1958, a contemporary, the Palace Hotel, still stands, set well back from the street, across from the Village Office/Town Hall. Built as a residence in 1862 and assumed to be the oldest building in Clinton, it didn't become a hotel until the 1880s. Immediately south of the village office is the Clinton Museum, housed in a one room 1892 schoolhouse.
Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Historic Site or Building Marker

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Street parking is available right at the kiosk

What Agency placed the marker?: The Village of Clinton

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.