First Baptist Church - New Franklin, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 01.047 W 092° 44.117
15S E 522916 N 4318746
Quick Description: First Baptist Church and Oldest non-Catholic church.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/9/2021 4:51:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM14H5V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of marker: Howard County
Location of marker: E. Broadway St. & Howard St., New Franklin
Church Built: 1888
Pastor: Bobby Kerr
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival

Historic Marker mounted on the porch column at the entrance to the church:
Marker Text:

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
(Originally Mount Pleasant Baptist Church)

In the year 1810 a number of families emigrated, mostly from Madison County, Kentucky, and made the first permanent settlement in the Boonslick country.

Several of the number were Baptists who came with the purpose of planting the gospel in these wild regions. They were joined in 1812 by several Baptist families from Loutre Island Settlement.

In 1812, on the 8th of April, Elders William Thorpe and David McLain held a meeting in a log cabin in which school was kept, situated a short distance from Old Franklin, in Fort Hempstead. At this meeting they organized the first Baptist Church in the "Upper Country," Mount Pleasant.

This historic church is recognized as the first permanent Baptist Church and the oldest non-Catholic church north of the Missouri River.

The first meeting house in all the territory north of the Missouri River was built on unregistered land at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in 1816. It was twenty feet square, very privative and of unhewn logs. A second structure, of brick, erected about 1829, later burned. A new frame meeting house was built in 1857. These three church buildings were all located just across the fence of the northeast corner of Munt Pleasant Cemetery near New Franklin.

The present church was built in New Franklin and dedicated December 2, 1888. The annex to the west was added in 1926. In 1960 the basement was enlarged and the educational addition on the north was added.

In December, 1951 the name of the church was changed from Mount Pleasant Baptist Church to First Baptist Church of New Franklin.

History of Mark:
No historic of marker, the text is complete above.


Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.