South Howard County Historical Society - New Franklin, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 01.043 W 092° 44.203
15S E 522792 N 4318738
Quick Description: Building number 10 on NRHP List. Currently the home of the local historical society.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/12/2021 4:06:49 AM
Waymark Code: WM14HPQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of building: Howard County
Location of building: 110 E. Broadway, north side, New Franklin
Built: 1909
Architectural Style: Commercial Block
Original Occupant: Chancellor and Lee
Current Occupant: South Howard County Historical Society

"The South Howard County Historical Society was organized in 1989. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to the collection, preservation, and exhibition of documents, papers, and objects relative to the history of Howard County, MO, and to promote an interest and appreciation for local history.

"SHCHS meets four times a year on the first Tuesday of the following months: March, June, September, and December. Our 7:00 p.m. meetings consist of a short business meeting and a program devoted to our local history. The public is always invited! Please plan to attend…we would love for you to come!

"Membership dues for 2014 are $10-Individual and $15-Family, from January through December. To become a member, send a check made out to SHCHS, P.O. Box 201, New Franklin, MO, 65274, and submit this form." ~ SCHS, [link below]

Interesting events listed on their Facebook  page.



"10. 110 E. Broadway, Chancellor and Lee (1909), ca. 1909.
A two-story brick two-part commercial block with a flat roof. This building is similar to the larger building to its east (112-116 E. Broadway) and appears to have been built at the same time. The upper façade is detailed like the one on the east, with a stepped brick cornice and rock-faced brick window hoods. The segmental arched window openings are filled with newer multi-light sashes. The storefront opening is intact, and topped with an early or original lintel which has the same type of ornamental medallions used on the building to the east. The metal-framed storefront infill is several decades old. The transom area is covered with flat panels and the lower section has a central door flanked by open display windows and short flat bulkheads. A low sloped canopy of curved wooden slats runs along the top of the display windows; it appears to be the same age as the storefront infill. A modern sign projects from the wall above the storefront. [c]" ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"This building replaced a two story brick building that burned in 1908.
1908--The building housed “Chancellor and Lee,” formerly C. F. Lee (Owen Binder)
1909, Mar. 18--J. M. Settle located over “Chancellor and Lee” at this location. (Owen Binder)
1910--Merchant License records show Chancellor and Lee as one of most valuable stores in town. (They were not listed in 1907.)
1917--Sanborn map shows this building as a Tin Shop and Vehicles on the first floor and storage of telephone supplies on the second floor. A fire door linked it to the building on the east (112)." ~ District Property Information Form

Address:
110 E. Broadway, New Franklin, MO 65274


Web Address: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Historical Society Headquarters
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.