Washington Bakery - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.608 W 091° 00.818
15S E 673070 N 4269836
Quick Description: A bakery for many, many years.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/30/2021 5:54:07 AM
Waymark Code: WM14N3H
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Elm St. & 2nd St., NE corner, Washington
Built: 1868
Architectural Style: Federal
Classified: C & Commercial
Current Occupant: Loyal Bella Company
District Map

Marker Text:

WASHINGTON BAKERY
Built in 1868 by developer C.H. Kahmann it served as the C. Kegelmann Cigar Factory until 1889. Julius Rombach and Paul Schmidle had their bakery here until the partners split in 1902, Schmidle stayed until 1920. The rear addition was an earlier location of the Observer newspaper.
1868

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
Federal/Greek Revival, circa 1849 - 1895, Coded A.
This group is largely represented by vernacular interpretations of Federal and/or Greek Revival styles; it contains one of the largest single collections of buildings (about one-fourth of the total) and enjoyed the greatest longevity. All rest on stone foundations and all except two are brick. The majority are three bays wide and rise two stories with first story utilized as commercial space and -second for residential; a few are one story commercial. ... Typically facades are symmetrical and feature openings headed with either jack arches, flat lintels or segmental arches; roofs are gabled or occasionally low-hipped. Ornamentation is restrained, generally limited to brick dentil ling, stringcourses, recessed paneling and pilasters. Several feature decorative cast iron balconies, lintsls or storefronts. While the majority of roofs are side-gabled, five feature street-front gables or shaped parapets sometimes pierced with an attic window or lunette. ...

"Residential (c. 1849 - 1930) . Coded 3
This designation denotes fifteen buildings used only for residential purposes (all are detached, single-family except for two detached, multi-family), as well as numerous buildings which mix residential use with commercial and a few which are institutional/residential or industrial/residential and are doubled coded as such.

"Commercial. Coded With Black Bar
This designation indicates that historically the building (or part of it) was used for commercial purposes. Since very few properties were constructed exclusively for commerce, the black bar code at the of the property parcel generally refers to a first story storefront.

" ... That same year he purchased the west half of Block 35 in Mense's Addition where he established the town's first pork packing plant, and later, in 1868, built the large two-story, six-bay brick building standing at the northeast corner of Second and Elm. Kahmann's enterprising spirit earned him a reputation as one of the town's great boosters and promoters; an accolade in the 1888 Frankl in County History noted that "for years he was the most influential and substantial citizen of Washington." ...

"Among the businesses opened by later immigrants was the bakery of Paul Schmidle and Julius Rombach, both of whom emigrated in 1883. In 1889, they purchased the building erected by C. H. Kahmann at 120 Elm; after their partnership was dissolved in 1902, Schmidle continued there until about 1920 and Rombach established himself at 123-25 W. Main." ~ NRHP Nomination Form, PDF pages 4-6, 19 & 20


"Built: 1868
On the north and south parapeted gable-ends are old iron numbers "18" and 68", presumably the date of construction. The filigree iron balcony railing is identical to one published in an early catalogue of McMurray, Smith and Judge, St. Louis manufacturers of architectural iron., New store front windows have been installed.

"Appears on 1869 Bird's Eye View; In 1889, German born bakers Julius Rombach and Pelul Schmidle bought the building from Geo. H. Kuhmann for $3,400 and operated a bakery there until 1902. Schmidle continued the bakery until about 1920. (Both men emigrated in 1883) The north part of the bldg. was occupied by barber Louis Flake in the l880's -90's." ~ DNR Historic Survey, phase II & III   PDF pages 374-377




Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.