Frank Joerden Building - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.616 W 091° 00.732
15S E 673195 N 4269853
121 W. Main St. is the one story addition to the main structure on the east side, of one of the oldest brick buildings in Washington.
Waymark Code: WM14PE2
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 08/06/2021
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

County of building: Franklin County
Location of building: W. Main St. & St., NE corner, Washington
Built: 1859
Architectural Style: Missouri-German
Classified: A-3 & commercial
Current Occupant: 121: religious supplies; 123: apartments upstairs; 125: Modern Vintage
District Map

Marker Text:

Frank Joerden Building
Joerden occupied this structure with his general store for about forth years. In the early Twentieth century, it housed a bakery owned by Julius Romback.

History of Mark:
"Federal/Greek Revival, circa 1849 - 1895, Coded A.
This group is largely represented by vernacular interpretations of Federal and/or Greek Revival styles; it contains one of the largest single collections of buildings (about one-fourth of the total) and enjoyed the greatest longevity. All rest on stone foundations and all except two are brick. The majority are three bays wide and rise two stories with first story utilized as commercial space and -second for residential; a few are one story commercial. ... Ornamentation is restrained, generally limited to brick dentil ling, stringcourses, recessed paneling and pilasters. Several feature decorative cast iron balconies, lintsls or storefronts. While the majority of roofs are side-gabled, five feature street-front gables or shaped parapets sometimes pierced with an attic window or lunette.

"Residential (c. 1849 - 1930) . Coded 3
This designation denotes fifteen buildings used only for residential purposes (all are detached, single-family except for two detached, multi-family), as well as numerous buildings which mix residential use with commercial and a few which are institutional/residential or industrial/residential and are doubled coded as such.

"Commercial, Coded With Black Bar
This designation indicates that historically the building (or part of it) was used for commercial purposes. Since very few properties were constructed exclusively for commerce, the black bar code at the front of the property parcel generally refers to a first story storefront.

"Among the businesses opened by later immigrants was the bakery of Paul Schmidle and Julius Rombach, both of whom emigrated in 1883. In 1889, they purchased the building erected by C. H. Kahmann at 120 Elm; after their partnership was dissolved in 1902, Schmidle continued there until about 1920 and Rombach established himself at 123-25 W. Main." ~ NRHP Nomination Form, PDF pages 4-6, 20

"Built: circa 1859
Fifteen ft. storefront altered; new windows, simple brick dentiled cornice is typical of Washington's earliest brick buildings. First story brick addition on east elevation.

"One of oldest remaining buildings on Main Street. Built by Franz Joerdens as a general store in 1859. Raided during Civil War by confederate soldiers. Operated as a bakery and ice cream parlor by Julius Rombach 1902-1923.

"Sanborn indicates corn cob pipes were bought here. Addition, east elevation first story masonry Circa 1880. 1893 addition, rear second story masonry Circa 1860 gabled roof, brick corbelled cornice, rear attic window, second story open frame porch attached." ~ DNR Historic Survey, phase II & III  PDF pages 609-610

Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.