Jefferson Barracks Historic Site - Lemay, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 30.373 W 090° 16.764
15S E 737230 N 4265491
Quick Description: Military base still in use, only now Missouri National Guard is here.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 10/7/2021 5:42:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM1538T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of marker: St. Louis County
Location of marker: Hancock Rd., across the rod from main gate, Jefferson Barracks, Lemay
Erected By: Friends of Jefferson Barracks & St. Louis County Parks
Date Erected: Unknown

Marker Text:

JEFFERSON BARRACKS HISTORIC SITE
Brief Historic Timeline:

1826: Major Stephen Watts Kearny arrives and construction begins. New post named in honor of Thomas Jefferson

1828: Jefferson Barracks Troops involved in Native American insurrection and protecting traders between Missouri and Santa Fe.

1832: 1st Dragoons formed, first permanent cavalry in the United States Army, trained to fight mounted or dismounted. Troops engaged in Sac Fox Indian War. Zachary Taylor led troops to confront Chief Black Hawk.

1846-1848: Jefferson Barracks served as a rest and supply for troops heading to the Mexican-American War.

1851: Old Ordnance Room, Laborers house, and barn built.

1861-1865: During the American Civil War Jefferson Barracks serves as a military hospital for both sides and recruiting depot for the north. In 1862 the construction starts of the Western Sanitary Commissions Hospital facilities.

1912: Jefferson Barracks is the site of the first successful parachute jump from an airplane.

1912: Army Captain Albert Berry makes military history at Jefferson Barracks by being the first military personnel ever to jump out of an "Aeroplane" using a parachute, and landing safely.

1917: Jefferson Barracks is largest induction and demobilization center for troops during World War I

1930s: The Citizens Military Training Camp (CMTC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) both have camps at Jefferson Barracks.

1941-1945: During World War II Jefferson Barracks served as an induction and separation center, basic training camp, and the largest technical training school for the Army Air Corps. With the end of the War (1946) it is decommissioned as a military post.

1950: Air Guard unites are activated for the Korean War. Five hundred acres are taken over by St. Louis County Parks and 250 acres are added to the National cemetery.

1970: All Missouri National Guard units in St. Louis are moved to Jefferson Barracks. In 1990 Naval Reserve units also are moved onto the base.

1995-1998: Army Reserves are activated for rotations of Joint Endeavor Guard in Bosnia.

2001-Pesent: Present Members of the Air National Guard, Army Guard, and Army Reserve are mobilized and deployed in Support of Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom. "The Missouri National Guard will provide motivated, deployable soldiers/airmen and units to meet the military and civil objectives of the Governor of Missouri and the President of the United States."

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
Please see long description


Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.