The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona - 548
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member flyingmoose
N 32° 16.182 W 110° 54.805
12S E 508153 N 3570333
Quick Description: Located between the pavilion and picnic tables within Binghampton Family Park.
Location: Arizona, United States
Date Posted: 11/13/2021 1:19:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM159BH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PeanutsParents
Views: 1

Long Description:
Marker Text:
The first members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter what is now Arizona were remnants of the Mormon Battalion. They arrived in the Valley of the Tucson Basin December 17, 1847, prepared for battle. However, the Mexican Garrison refused to surrender and departed with most of the population. The Stars and Stripes were raised over the ancient Indian village. This march accomplished the task of pioneering a route through southern Arizona and inspired many, like Pvt. Erastas Bingham, to return with his wife and sons. They homesteaded, cleared land of mesquite, creosote, cats claw, rattlers, Gila monsters, lizards and tarantulas. Teams, plows, picks, and shovels were used to build reservoirs and irrigation systems. They called their community Binghampton, The children walked or rode on horseback or in buggies to school at Nephi Bingham’s home. School was later held in a one-room building south of the Rillito River at Fort Lowell & Maple Boulevard. In 1905 Alexander Davidson donated land for the Davidson School. Charles Bayless furnished materials, and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints donated labor. The school was used for cultural and church events. Settler families, Bingham, Farr, Young, Webb, Williams, and Hurst, were soon followed by Mormon Colonists fleeing Mexico. Colonists Langford, Bluth, Done, Ray, Johnson, Hardy, Nelson, Stock, Evans, Terrel, Jesperson, James, Price, Cordon, Butler, Huish, Naegle, Heder, Chlarson, and others added to the bustling Mormon farm village. The Binghampton Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized May 22, 1910. Binghampton was gradually absorbed by Tucson’s growth. All that remains is the pioneer cemetery, a few adobe homes, and the chapel built in 1927, still used by ward members from the Tucson Arizona Stake.

Note: As of November 2021, this marker is in excellent condition.
Marker Name: The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona

Marker Number: 548

Marker Text:
see detailed description.


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.