Vous êtes Ici - Aléria - Corse - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 06.164 E 009° 30.600
32T E 542169 N 4661309
Ancienne colonie grecque, puis romaine, la cité fut la capitale de l'Ile pendant l'Antiquité, avant d'être abandonnée au 5e siècle. Les fouilles ont permis de dégager le forum et le soubassement des principaux monuments de la ville romaine.
Waymark Code: WM15AMW
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 11/23/2021
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Ancient Greek colony, then Roman, the city was the capital of the island during Antiquity, before being abandoned in the 5th century. Excavations have uncovered the forum and the foundations of the main monuments of the Roman city.


Le site archéologique d'Aleria

Credits

Premières mentions et recherches
Les ruines de la ville antique d’Aleria sont décrites pour la première fois par Prosper Mérimée (1803-1870) après son voyage d’inspection en Corse de 1839. Il mentionne notamment l’arc occidental et les arases de l’édifice rectangulaire qui jouxtent cet arc. Entre 1955 et 1960 Jean Jehasse entreprend, sur le promontoire dominant le fleuve, les premières fouilles importantes marquées par la mise au jour du Forum et des quartiers associés constituant le cœur administratif, commercial et religieux de la ville.

La ville romaine
Si la présence romaine y semble déjà effective dès la fin du 3e s. av. J.C., Aleria et son territoire connaitront trois colonisations successives attribuées à Sylla vers-81, à César en -46 et à Octave aux alentours de -32.

Délimitée par un rempart encore visible au sud-est et par la forte déclivité naturelle à l’ouest et au nord, la surface de la ville est de 11ha environ. Les portes, dont les traces ont été révélées par l’archéologie, la morphologie du terrain ou la toponymie, ont été aménagées au sud, à l’ouest et au nord-est, dans le rempart qui entourait la cité.

La ville évoluera jusqu’à l’antiquité tardive et connaitra de nombreuses modifications et reprises visibles sur les bâtiments ou sur l’organisation générale des axes de circulation internes à la cité.

L’antiquité tardive
D’un point de vue archéologique, la ville semble connaître un déclin progressif à partir du IVe siècle de notre ère, sans qu’apparemment le site ne soit totalement abandonné. A la fin du VIe siècle, une lettre du pape Grégoire le Grand, confirme la présence d’un évêché à Aleria.

Une « ville carrière »
A la période d’abandon de la ville succède une phase d’exploitation des ruines qui semble remonter au XIVe siècle, sous l’autorité de la république de Gènes. Il s’agit en particulier du recyclage d’éléments architecturaux calcaires transformés en chaux ou remployés tels quels en maçonnerie que l’on retrouve notamment dans les maisons alentours et au-delà. Les traces de cette exploitation sont visibles partout sur le site, notamment sur les piliers nord et sud de l’arc occidental, où l’on observe en négatif les empreintes des blocs qui ont servi à son édification. Ce constat pourrait expliquer en partie la relative rareté de la roche calcaire sur le site, ou seuls quelques fragments d’inscriptions, de marbres ornementaux ou de statues ont été découverts. La fabrication de chaux tout comme la récupération de roches à bâtir semblent avoir perduré jusqu’au XIXe siècle.

LA RECHERCHE
Depuis l’année 2010, le territoire et la façade maritime d’Aléria font l’objet de nouvelles recherches archéologiques orientées sur l’Antiquité.
Récemment, le site de la ville antique a fait l’objet d’un programme de recherche mêlant bilan des connaissances et acquisition de données nouvelles, sous la forme d’une campagne de relecture du bâti (2011/2013) suivie par une prospection géophysique (2016/2017) destinée à connaître les limites, la configuration et la densité du tissu urbain intra-muros. La valorisation des résultats de ces recherches menées par l’équipe d’Arkemine (A. Coutelas, S. Painsonneau, G. Bonnamour), associée aux archéologues de la Collectivité de Corse (F. Allegrini-Simonetti, J.-M. Bontempi, M.-L. Marchetti), éclaircira et élargira la représentation de la ville antique.


The archaeological site of Aleria

First mentions and research
The ruins of the ancient city of Aleria were first described by Prosper Mérimée (1803-1870) after his inspection trip to Corsica in 1839. He mentions in particular the western arch and the arches of the rectangular building which adjoin this arch. Between 1955 and 1960 Jean Jehasse undertook, on the promontory overlooking the river, the first important excavations marked by the unearthing of the Forum and the associated districts constituting the administrative, commercial and religious heart of the city.

The Roman city
If the Roman presence seems to be already effective at the end of the 3rd century BC, Aleria and its territory will know three successive colonizations attributed to Sylla around -81, to Caesar in -46 and to Octavian around -32.

Delimited by a rampart still visible in the south-east and by the strong natural slope in the west and in the north, the surface of the city is of approximately 11ha. The gates, traces of which have been revealed by archaeology, the morphology of the terrain or the toponymy, were built to the south, west and north-east, within the rampart that surrounded the city.

The city evolved until late antiquity and underwent numerous modifications and reworkings that were visible on the buildings or on the general organization of the city's internal circulation axes.

Late antiquity
From an archaeological point of view, the city seems to have been in gradual decline from the 4th century A.D. onwards, without the site apparently being totally abandoned. At the end of the 6th century, a letter from Pope Gregory the Great confirmed the presence of a bishopric in Aleria.

A "quarry town
The period of abandonment of the city was followed by a phase of exploitation of the ruins which seems to date back to the 14th century, under the authority of the Republic of Genoa. It is in particular the recycling of architectural limestone elements transformed into lime or replaced as such in masonry that we find in particular in the houses around and beyond. The traces of this exploitation are visible everywhere on the site, in particular on the north and south pillars of the western arch, where one can see the negative imprints of the blocks that were used to build it. This observation could explain in part the relative scarcity of limestone on the site, where only a few fragments of inscriptions, ornamental marbles or statues have been discovered. The manufacture of lime as well as the recovery of building rock seems to have continued until the 19th century.

THE RESEARCH
Since 2010, the territory and the seafront of Aléria have been the subject of new archaeological research focused on antiquity.
Recently, the site of the ancient city has been the subject of a research program combining the assessment of knowledge and acquisition of new data, in the form of a campaign to reread the building (2011/2013) followed by a geophysical survey (2016/2017) to know the limits, configuration and density of the urban fabric intra-muros. The valorization of the results of these researches carried out by the team of Arkemine (A. Coutelas, S. Painsonneau, G. Bonnamour), associated with the archaeologists of the Collectivity of Corsica (F. Allegrini-Simonetti, J.-M. Bontempi, M.-L. Marchetti), will clarify and widen the representation of the ancient city.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Location Name: Site archéologique d'Aléria

Visit Instructions:

A photo of either you or your GPS at the site is welcomed but not required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest 'You Are Here' Maps
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.