1891 St. Francis Borgia School Building - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.639 W 091° 00.883
15S E 672974 N 4269891
Quick Description: Still used as classrooms, only now it is the elementary school.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/1/2022 7:46:11 AM
Waymark Code: WM15G6M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Cedar St. & E. 2nd St., NW corner, Washington

Marker Text:

1891 ST FRANCIS BORGIA
SCHOOL BUILDING

When the School Sisters of Notre Dame arrived in Washington in 1859, they lived in a house built from logs of the first St. Francis Borgia Church. In 1860, the Parish built a new convent and school for the Sisters, known as St. Mary's Academy. While the students moved to a newly constructed school building at the corner of Main and Cedar Streets. In 1884, the Sisters occupied St. Mary's Academy for several more years. In 1890, the decision was made to construct a building that would provide a new residence for the Sisters as well as future classrooms. The building was blessed and opened in January of 1891. At different times through its history, this building ahs served as a convent, a grade school, parish center, middle school, and preschool.

1891 • The New Convent is built, blessed and opened

1916 • The Sisters move across the street into the Hibbeler House. This allows renovation of the 1891
    building to accommodate grade school students.

1917 • In April, St. Francis Borgia Grade School students move into the newly renovated and
    extended building.

1972 • The third floor of the building is removed and a new roof built.

1982 • Grade school students leave this building and move into the 1935 School Building.
    The 1891 School Building becomes the parish center.

1985 • The food pantry begins and is housed on the northern end of the first floor.

1998 • The southern end of the first floor is renovated.

1999 • St. Francis Borgia Preschool is established and moves into the newly renovated space
    on the first floor.

2003 • The second floor of the building is remodeled to be used as a middle school for students
    in the 6th, 7th and 8th grades.

Photo Captions:
St Francis Borgia Parish's 1860 Convent and School, known as St. Mary's Academy, was located on the northwest corner of Main and Elm Streets.

The 1891 St. Francis Borgia School Building, while being used as a Convent, is pictured with its third floor.

History of Mark:
"North half of this bldg. was erected in 1890 as a convent & school for St. Francis Borgia. In 1916 after the south half was constructed and the entire bldg. was used as a school. The north half was originally constructed with a third floor which was removed circa 1970." ~ Washington Historical Survey


Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.