1935 St. Francis Borgia School Building - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.639 W 091° 00.883
15S E 672974 N 4269891
Quick Description: Still a school, auditorium and cafeteria. The total building was built in three stages, two different years: 1934 & 1951
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/4/2022 6:32:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM15GP7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Cedar St. & E. 2nd St., NW corner, Washington

Marker Text:

1935 St. Francis Borgia
School Building

St. Francis Borgia's high school program was established in 1901 with fourteen girls and nine boys in the first class. In 1933, its first four year, fully accredited, high school program was introduced. The 1935 school building was built to accommodate the growing number of high school students. It was a modern design for its time and even contained a bowling alley in the basement with room for approximately 80 spectators. In 1982, St. Francis Borgia High School became a regional high school, and a new building was constructed and opened just a mile away at Ninth and High Streets. At that time, the 1935 building ws converted into a grade school building.

1901 • St. Francis Borgia's first high school program is created.

1933 • St Francis Borgia High School becomes a fully accredited, four year program.

1935 • The St. Francis Borgia High School building is completed.

1951 • A high school addition is started.

1978 • The bowling alley is replaced by a cafeteria, and the old cafeteria is converted into classrooms.

1982 • St, Francis Borgia Regional High School opens. The grade school moves into the old
    high school building.

History of Mark:
"The 1934 St. Francis Borgia parochial school is an excellent example of Art Deco design featuring salmon color brick and terra cotta; the 1951 addition to the south replicates the materials and design of the original section.

One of the most impressive examples is the building erected in 1934 for St. Francis Borgia High School at the southwest corner of Cedar and Second Streets, a handsome Art Deco design in brick and terra cotta now in use as a parochial grade school. The school was enlarged in 1951 with an addition extending to Third Street which replicates the original section. The streamlined Moderne look subsequently introduced a facade treatment which was imitated in several small commercial structures " ~ NRHP Nomination Form



Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.