Church, Rectory and Jesuit Hall - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.639 W 091° 00.883
15S E 672974 N 4269891
Quick Description: Church and rectory buildings still in use.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/5/2022 9:57:37 AM
Waymark Code: WM15GZ0
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Cedar St. & E. 2nd St., NW corner, Washington

Marker Text:

CHURCH, RECTORY,
AND JESUIT HALL
St Francis Borgia Catholic Parish was established in 1834 and serviced by the Jesuit Missionaries from St. Charles, Missouri. The Parish's current church is the third church built and was constructed in 1849. The bells tower houses three bells which have been dedicated, at various times, to St. Francis Borgia, the Blessed Virgin, The Holy Family, and St. Joseph. In the early 1900s, many improvements were made to the church: the 12 Apostles were painted on the ceiling in 1903, stained glass windows were added in 1904, and a new pipe organ was installed in 1909. The Rectory, home to the Brothers and Priests who served the Parish, was constructed in 1883. Jesuit Hall was erected in 1884 as a school building. In 2007, Jesuit Hall underwent major renovations to be used by the Parish for various functions including weddings, baptismal, first holy communion, confirmation, and graduation celebrations as well as community meetings and events. Between 1834 and 1890, 10 Jesuits and 112 Franciscans served the Parish until it transitioned to diocesan leadership.

1834 • St. Francis Borgia Catholic Parish is established and serviced by the Jesuits.

1835 • The first church is built out of logs next to the St. Francis Borgia Parish Cemetery

1846 • The second St. Francis Borgia Church is built on Main Street.

1847 • The third, and current, St. Francis Borgia Church is built , directly east of the second
    church, and blessed on Easter Monday.

1884 • A new school building, later named Jesuit Hall, is constructed and used as a school building.

1894 • The Parish transitions from Jesuits to Franciscans.

1945 • Following Vatican II, a new marble alter is erected in the church, facing the people.

1985 • Improvements are made to the exterior of the church, and the interior is renovated.

1990 • The Parish transitions from Franciscans to diocesan Priests.

1995 • The Rectory undergoes an intensive restoration, modernizing the space.

2007 • Jesuit Hall is completely gutted, remodeled, expanded, and officially takes its name in honor
    of the original ministers of the Parish.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"In the spring of 1834, the Rev. Father Verreydt came and celebrated Holy Mass in the little tavern, and administered to the spiritual needs of the Catholic families. For the next four years, Washington was just a mission, visited at intervals by priests from St. Charles. The records of the parish for these years are at St. Charles. The first records at Washington are of the baptism of Maria Elizabeth Menkhaus on June 11, 1838, and the marriage on August 30, 1838, of Dietrich Baare and Christina Albrecht.

"In 1838, a little log church was build about a mile south of Washington. The settlement continued to grow. The little church was enlarged, but was still too small. It was then, in 1840, that Lucinda Owens offered four lots to the Catholics in "New Washington."

"Some wanted to leave the old site and build the church in New Washington, and others wanted to remain. To settle the quarrel, the Rev. Father Provincial Van de Velde came in August, 1845, and decided the issue by permitting the building of two churches, one in Washington, and one in Krakow. The foundation of the church at Washington was altered, and made 120 feet shorter, a regrettable mistake, since the parish was never separated, and it soon became necessary to build a larger church.

"When the new church was completed in 1846, the old log church was taken down and rebuilt at Main and elm streets, where it was used for a school. The Rev. Father Eisvogels, who lived with the Eckelkamp family until the parsonage was built in 1848, was the first teacher. In 1852, a small brick school house was built.

"The Sisters of Notre Dame came to Washington in 1859, to teach in the school. They lived in the little log building at first, but in 1860 a convent was erected at Main and Elm streets. Part of this building was used for school rooms, and the little log school was moved to the rear of the new one, and was later used as a stable.

"The present large church was built in 1866. Two years later, the old church was torn down, and the bricks were used for a new school, built across the street. It had two class rooms below, and a large hall on the second floor. In this hall in 1873, the Dramatic Club of the parish began to hold their plays. For a number of years only men participated in the plays.

"In 1894, the Parish of Washington was given over to the Franciscan Fathers. A farewell celebration was held in honor of the Jesuit Fathers, who had worked so faithfully in Washington. Since that time, the parish has been served devotedly by the Franciscan Fathers. The present Pastor is the Very Rev. Sabastian Krempel, O. F. M.

"The days of the little log church seem very remote to us now as we view the fine big church of our present day, and the surrounding school buildings and convent. But not only should we comment on this material progress, but also on the marked advancement made in religion and education through the untiring efforts of the Catholic Church in Washington." ~ The History of Washington, Missouri St. Francis Borgia Church by Lucile Mauntel



Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.