Notre Dame Hall - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.639 W 091° 00.883
15S E 672974 N 4269891
Quick Description: Once a private home, converted by the Parish to house the Nuns who were here to teach school.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/8/2022 7:48:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM15HKG
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Cedar St. & E. 2nd St., NW corner, Washington

Marker Text:

Notre Dame Hall

On All Saints Day, November 1, 1859, the first three school Sisters of Notre Dame arrived in Washington, 36 years before their order arrived in St. Louis. Throughout the years, the Sisters' living quarter were located in a number of different buildings. In 1916, the Parish purchased the home of Henry D. Hibbeler, later dedicated as Notre Dame Hall, to be renovated and expanded to become the Sisters' new convent. The Sisters lived in this building from 1916 to 2001, when a roof and attic fire caused them to vacant the building and to begin living off campus. In 2004, the building was renovated and converted into offices and meeting rooms. Since 1859, over 775 Sisters have served the Washington Area as educators.

1916 • St. Francis Borgia Parish purchases the home of Henry D. Hibbeler for $10,000 to be remodeled and used as the Convent for the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

1936 • The Sister's Convent is renovated and an addition, to the west side of the building, is constructed.

1952 • Another addition is built onto the Convent.

1972 • The Interior of the Convent is remodeled to include private rooms for the Sisters.

1985 • The Convent is renovated to improve the living quarters for the Sisters and to add a workshop and office for the maintenance staff.

2001 • A roof and attic fire, on the west end of the building, causes the Sister to vacate the building permanently and move to private residences in town.

2004 • The Convent is converted into offices and meeting rooms. It is dedicated in memory of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

History of Mark:
"Washington has a unique place in the history of the School Sisters of Notre Dame (SSND).

"St. Francis Borgia Parish was their first mission in Missouri outside of St. Louis.

"SSNDs chronicle the Confederate attack on Washington in October 1864.

"Our Lady of Lourdes Parish welcomed SSNDs to staff their new school during the centennial year of SSND’s presence in Washington.

"SSNDs have had a presence in Washington from 1859 to the present.

"Twelve years after the School Sisters of Notre Dame came to America from Bavaria, two sisters and a candidate arrived from Milwaukee to begin teaching in the parish school at St. Francis Borgia. They were Sisters Pia Blunde and Anna Busemann and Candidate Magdalena Bauer.

"The pastor, Father Seisl, SJ, had pleaded with Mother Caroline Friess for sisters to teach in the small school.

"On Nov. 3, 1859, they began with nine pupils, and by spring there were 60 children enrolled.

"From these small beginnings, the school flourished into the expanding St. Francis Borgia Grade and High School.

"When Our Lady of Lourdes Parish began in 1959, the School Sisters of Notre Dame were asked to staff their new elementary school. Three sisters arrived to open the new school in September 1959 — Sisters Jana Soukup, Maynard Werner and Antone (Carleen) Reck.

"During the past 155 years, SSNDs have ministered as teachers and administrators in elementary and secondary education, pastoral ministers, catechetical and liturgical educators.

"Over 520 sisters have served the St. Francis Borgia Parish and 30 sisters have served at Our Lady of Lourdes.

"One hundred women have entered the School Sister of Notre Dame — 75 who were born in Washington or entered from St. Francis Borgia and 25 from surrounding parishes in Krakow, Dutzow, Concord Hill, Neier and Gildehaus.

"Today, as the School Sisters of Notre Dame celebrate their 180th anniversary, they are a multicultural, international congregation of women religious with nearly 3,000 vowed members serving in 24 countries on five continents.

"Their mission is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ and witness to unity in diversity. They seek to empower and companion others through formal education, social justice endeavors, working for systemic and structural changes as they reach out to youth, women and the poor.

"Inspired by the courageous legacy of their ancestors, they strive to meet the urgent needs of our world community in our historical era." ~ The Missourian, May 22, 2014



Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.