Thacher House - 1840-1866 - Boonville, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 58.702 W 092° 44.444
15S E 522457 N 4314407
Quick Description: This house/building is #16 on the NRHP list for District E. Actually two buildings. Shown as 2 bldgs. on Historic Survey, but only 1 bldg. on NRHP.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/12/2022 5:46:19 AM
Waymark Code: WM15JDP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of house: Cooper County
Location of house: E. High St., 2nd structure W of 8th St., N side, Boonville
Built: 713: 1866 - 715: 1840
Architect: 713: M.J. Wertheimer - 715: Unknown
Architectural Style: 713: Italianate - 715: Federal
Original Occupant: Unknown
Current Occupant: Private Residence
District Map

"16. Thacher Residence, 713-715 High Street, 1840's, 1866. The earlier east section is a one and one-half story brick, and is accented by Flemish bond brick work and a Federal style fireplace mantel. The west section is a two-story, brick, Italianate structure." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


713 E. High St.
"Built: 1866
Style/Design: Italianate
Small ornate brackets and an ornate corbelled chimney accent the roof line of th1s structure. W1ndows are attenuated, 2-over-2, and are segmentally arched with a soldier course header. On the primary facade (S) the windows have straight-sided arched hood-molds with label stops and foliate key stones. The 2nd story windows have grill work on the lower half. The easternmost bay has a frame balcony with wrought iron balustrade and brackets. The entrance on the 1st floor (S facade) is inset and panelled. Classical motifs such as square fluted pilasters and heavy entablature with dentils and modillions embellish this entrance in the easternmost bay of this 2/3rds plan house. The W facade has a 1 story Eastlake frame porch. A frame porch is also to the N.
  The interior of the house features ornate plaster molds in the ceilings of the living and dining rooms and the hall. Large floor to ceiling sliding doors with ornate panels divide the living and dining rooms. Original window shutters which are louvered and panelled and fold away into the molding are also a distinctive feature. Four fireplaces heated the house. The 2 downstairs are black marble with ornate metal summer plates. A unique feature is the walnut, bracketed string staircase. The landing is large and serves as sitting area (now has piano). The 2nd half flight of stairs split to give access to both the N & S 2nd floor rooms.

"Architecturally the 713-715 E. High Street structure is significant due to its early construction date and fine Italianate addition. It is significant as an integral part of the E. High Street neighborhood and streetscape.
  713 E. High Street structure was built in 1866 by Morris J. Wertheimer, a Bavarian immigrant, to mee5t the needs of his expanding family. Mr. & Mrs. Wertheimer, who had been in residence at 715 E. High Street since 1855, remained in the expanded structure until 1885. Being a "merchant, tailor, clothier and dealer in piece goods", Wertheimer lost $4000 worth of clothing when General Joe Shelby occupied Boonville on October 11, 1863.
  In 1888 the two sectioned house was divided and 713 E. High became the property of Wertheimer's son-in-law, Charles P. Gott. In 1894 Gott obtained 715 E. High and both remained in his possession until 1899. Gott, a one time partner in the Sauter Brothers Mercantile Co. was employed by his father in the Gott Tobacco Manufacturing Company between 1883 and 1900. The next owner, John F. McClanahan, obtained both sections of the structure in 1899, but sold to T.F. Waltz in 1903. Waltz was employed by the MKT railroad and worked his way up to station agent over a career that spanned 60 years. Both structures remained in the Waltz family until 1964 when Waltz's daughter, Frances Wasco, and her husband gained possession. In 1972, 713 E. High was sold to the present owners, Mr & Mrs. Barry Thacher, owners of the Thacher Funeral Home.

"The residence faces S onto High Street. To the N the ground drops off to afford a grand view of the river. A recent concrete drive runs along the W side the property with access from High. The house abuts 715 on the E. There are no outbuildings." ~ Boonville Historic Survey  PDF pages 1547-1551



715 E. High Street
"Built: 1840's
Style/Design: Vernacular with Federal Aff.
This structure is built on a 2/3rds plan with 713 E. High built as a later addition. On the primary facade (S) the entrance is the westernmost bay. It has a transom and retains its interior. Eastlake door. The 2-over-2 windows have flat arch soldier . 3· d f d I Photo course headers and green shutters. There is a 3 window, pent roof dormer on this S facade. On the E facade, the ground drops off to expose the basement which has a walk out entrance at the NE corner. This and the N facade are done in common bond. Windows are segmentally arched 6-over-6, and have rowlock headers. Tow rooms deep, the E facade has 2 chimneys, each with an ornately corbelled cap. There is a frame, partially enclosed addition at the 1st story level of the N facade.
  The entire interior of the house was panelled during the residency of the Wascos in the 1960's. Interior woodwork repainted upon Frank Thacher's purchase of the house, 10/79.
  An impressive reeded Federal fireplace mantle has been retained at the basement level.

"Architecturally the structure is important due to its early construction date. It is locally significant as an integral part of the E. High Street neighborhood and streetscape.
  The exact date and builder are unknown, however, the Flemish bond brickwork dates the structure c. 1840's. Ownersh1p of the structure between 1839 and 1849 is Mary Dobb1ns, an early merchant (1839); Jobn Dade, executor of the Dobbins estate (1842); August Simpson, publisher of the Boonville Observer newspaper (1849). In 1855 the structure was sold to Morris J. Wertheimer, a Bavarian immigrant. Wertheimer, a "merchant, tailor, clothier and dealer in piece goods," constructed the 713 E. High Street addition in 1866 to meet the needs of his expanding family. In 1888 She home was divided and 715 E. High sold to Charles Gott, a son-in-law. The term "Siamese Twins" probably originates from this date. In 1894 Gott acquired 715 E. High and united the "Twins". In 1899 possession passed to W.C. Knight and then to John McClanahan. In 1903 T.F. Waltz purchased both houses. In 1964 the Waltz's daughter, Frances, and her husband, Judd Wasco, who had been in residence in 715 E. High for many years, obtained ownership of both sections. In 1972 they sold 713 E. High to Barry Thacher, owner of the Thacher Funeral Home. In 1979 the 715 E. High structure was sold to Frank Thacher, son of the owner of the adjoining structure. Thacher has future plans of reopening a closed doorway between the two structures and restoring them to a one-family residence.

"The structure faces S onto High Street and actually intrudes into the original alley space to the E. A gravel drive now is to the E with access from High Street. 713 High Street abuts the structure to the W. There are no outbuildings." ~ Boonville Historic Survey  PDF pages 1556-1559

Year built or dedicated as indicated on the structure or plaque: 1840, 1866

Full Inscription (unless noted above):
THACHER HOUSE
circa 1840-1866
Has Been Place on the
NATIONAL REGISTER
OF HISTORIC PLACES
by the United States
Department of the Interior


Website (if available): Not listed

Visit Instructions:


Any log as a visit to a waymark will require a picture as proof that the person visited a particular dated architectural structure. Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.