Improved Order Red Men Delaware Tribe No. 43 - Brunswick MD
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe
N 39° 18.780 W 076° 37.686
18S E 359639 N 4352775
Quick Description: The I.O.R.M. Delaware Tribe No. 43 fraternal lodge formerly occupied the building at 40 West Potomac St., Brunswick. The three-story brick building or "wigwam" was built in 1904 by the Delaware Tribe No. 43 who occupied the building until 1936. T
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 1/19/2022 2:37:09 PM
Waymark Code: WM15M1P
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 1

Long Description:
From Wikipedia in part:

"The Brunswick Heritage Museum is a railroad and history museum in Brunswick, Maryland.
HISTORY
The Brunswick Potomac Foundation was founded during the town's 75th Anniversary Diamond Jubilee and originally focused on hosting local events including Railroad Days, an annual street festival held during the first full weekend in October. In 1974, the group purchased a building from a fraternal lodge to host a museum. Founded as the Brunswick Railroad Museum, the museum originally focused exclusively on railroads. In 2013, the name was changed to Brunswick Heritage Museum and the mission of the museum expanded to include the history of Brunswick, a company town of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

The Brunswick Visitor Center is also on the first floor and is maintained by the National Park Service as a tenant. This is a unit of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park.

The museum is housed in the former Improved Order of Red Men fraternal lodge. The three-story brick building or "wigwam" was built in 1904 by the Delaware Tribe No. 43 who occupied the building until 1936. The Fraternal Order of Eagles Brunswick Aerie No. 1136 purchased the building on June 1, 1936 and removed the Native American statue from the entrance. That statue is now on the second floor of the museum. The museum chose the building because it is located less than a block from the Brunswick Line MARC commuter line and four tracks of the CSX mainline."

(visit link)
Type of Location: Lodge

Location Description:
The building is located at 40 West Potomac Street. The Brunswick Visitor Center is on the first floor and is maintained by the National Park Service as a tenant. This is a unit of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park. The Museum is on the second floor.


Date of Construction: 1/1/1904

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Provide a description of your visit and upload at least one photograph.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Improved Order of Red Men
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Don.Morfe visited Improved Order Red Men Delaware Tribe No. 43 - Brunswick MD 1/19/2022 Don.Morfe visited it