Eschif - Périgueux, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 11.000 E 000° 43.433
31T E 321180 N 5005836
Quick Description: [EN] In general, the eschif designates a small fortification built to defend the approaches to a gate when the enclosures of the cities consisted of a simple wall. [FR] De manière générale, l'eschif désigne une petite fortification construite pour défendre les approches d’une porte lorsque les enceintes des villes consistaient en une simple muraille.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 1/28/2022 12:43:49 AM
Waymark Code: WM15NG8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PISA-caching
Views: 6

Long Description:

When you stroll along the Isle, you will discover this curious isolated building. It is an architectural curiosity of the beautiful city of Périgueux. Fortunately, the city, owner of this building, continues to maintain and enhance it.

"The eschif is located in Périgord, in the center of the Dordogne department, in Périgueux. It is a building located at 9 boulevard Georges-Saumande, at the corner of rue Tourville, in the protected area, on the edge of the Isle, a hundred meters south-east of the Saint-Front cathedral.

Although it has never been used as a mill, the eschif is wrongly called "Old mill" or "mill of the Chapter" or even "mill of Saint-Front". The confusion comes from the nearby mill of Saint-Front which was in the middle of the Isle and which was demolished in 1860.

A lookout post which in the Middle Ages would allow the surveillance of the Tournepiche bridge, the eschif was built in 1347 on the ramparts of Puy-Saint-Front (the medieval city corresponding to the historic center of Périgueux) at the foot of which the Isle s was flowing. It is built on the site of a house in Creyschat, destroyed the previous year following a flood of the Isle.

In 1860, the ramparts were destroyed to allow the construction of the imperial road 21 from Paris to Barèges (the current boulevard Georges Saumande).

In 1929, the eschif was listed as a historical monument under the (erroneous) name of the Saint-Front mill. This registration was canceled in 1977 and replaced by a classification as historical monuments. It has belonged to the city of Périgueux since 1976.

The eschif has retained its half-timbering and cob. The building seems to hold miraculously on a thin support to which it is connected by struts on its two longitudinal facades. These are often wooden works that were temporarily established if time or resources were lacking to raise towers."

Sources : The House

Photo goes Here

Lorsque vous flâner le long de l'Isle, vous découvrirez ce curieux bâtiment isolé. C'est une curiosité architecturale de la belle ville de Périgueux. Heureusement que la ville, propriétaire de ce batiment, continue à l'entretenir et à le mettre en valeur.

" L'eschif se situe en Périgord, au centre du département de la Dordogne, à Périgueux. C'est un bâtiment sis au 9 boulevard Georges-Saumande, à l'angle de la rue Tourville, dans le secteur sauvegardé, en bordure de l'Isle, à une centaine de mètres au sud-est de la cathédrale Saint-Front.

Bien que n'ayant jamais servi comme moulin, l'eschif est appelé à tort « Vieux moulin » ou « moulin du Chapitre » ou encore « moulin de Saint-Front ». La confusion vient du proche moulin de Saint-Front qui se trouvait au milieu de l'Isle et qui a été démoli en 1860.

Poste de guet qui va permettre au Moyen Âge la surveillance du pont de Tournepiche, l'eschif est construit en 1347 sur les remparts du Puy-Saint-Front (la cité médiévale correspondant au centre historique de Périgueux) au pied desquels l'Isle s'écoulait. Il est bâti à l'emplacement d'une maison de Creyschat, détruite l'année précédente à la suite d'une crue de l'Isle.

En 1860, les remparts sont détruits pour permettre l'édification de la route impériale 21 de Paris à Barèges (l'actuel boulevard Georges Saumande).

En 1929, l'eschif est inscrit au titre des monuments historiques sous le nom (erroné) de moulin Saint-Front. Cette inscription est annulée en 1977 et remplacée par un classement au titre des monuments historiques. Il appartient à la ville de Périgueux depuis 1976.

L'eschif a conservé ses pans de bois et son torchis. L'édifice semble tenir miraculeusement sur un mince support auquel il est relié par des jambes de force sur ses deux façades longitudinales. Ce sont souvent des ouvrages en bois que l’on établissait provisoirement si le temps ou les ressources manquaient pour élever des tours. "

Sources : La Maison

Address:
17 Rue Tourville, 24000 Périgueux, France


Visit Instructions:
You must include both a photo of the Elevated Building visited and any impressions or comments you have concerning the building. Any new information on the building you might have would be appreciated, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Elevated Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
ipln visited Eschif - Périgueux, France 3/8/2022 ipln visited it
pmaupin visited Eschif - Périgueux, France 1/28/2022 pmaupin visited it

View all visits/logs