Grapevine Door Handle -- Oakwood Cemetery, Fort Worth TX USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 32° 46.222 W 097° 20.939
14S E 654638 N 3627036
Quick Description: The elegant Mausoleum for famous Texas rancher Burk Burnett features a grapevine motif that extends to the handles themselves.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 2/19/2022 9:46:17 AM
Waymark Code: WM15RWG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Bear and Ragged
Views: 4

Long Description:
One of the most iconic of the 19th & 20th century cattle ranches in Texas, Burk Burnett purchased 350,000 acres of land in King, Carson, and Hutchinson counties of Texas in 1900, and established the 6666 (Four Sixes) Ranch. The 6666 was one of the largest cattle empires in Texas, right up there with the famous XIT Ranch headquartered in Dalhart TX, and the King Ranch, headquartered in in Kingsville.

In 1917, after huge success as a rancher, Burk Burnett built a $100,000 ranch house near Guthrie, the HQ of the 6666 Ranch, where he hosted President Theodore Roosevelt and comedian Will Rogers.

Burk Burnett made his primary home in Fort Worth TX where he was the majority shareholder of First National Bank of Fort Worth. From 1908 until his death, Burk Burnett was also President of the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show (a really big deal).

The Wichita Co. TX town of Burkburnett is named for him.

When Burk Burnett died, he was buried in an elegant Art Nouveau mausoleum in Fort Worth's historic Oakwood Cemetery. The mausoleum door features grapevines intertwining through a gate, whose handles are made of the vines. When Blasterz visited in Feb 2022, the wreath placed here annually by the leadership of the Fort Worth Stock Show was still in excellent shape, honoring his leadership in making the FWSS what it is today.

For more on Burk Burnett and his family, see here: (visit link)

"Captain Samuel “Burk” Burnett
1849–1922

Born in Bates County, Missouri, on Jan. 1, 1849, to Jeremiah and Mary Turner Burnett, Samuel Burk Burnett became one of the most well known and respected ranchers in Texas. His parents were in the farming business, but in 1857-58, conditions caused them to move from Missouri to Denton County, Texas, where Jerry Burnett became involved in the cattle business. Burk, 10 years old at the time of the move, began watching the nature of the cow business and learned from his father.

At age 19, Burk went into business for himself with the purchase of 100 head of cattle, which were wearing the 6666 brand. With the title to the cattle came ownership of the brand. Burnett survived the panic of 1873 by holding over 1,100 steers he had driven to market in Wichita, Kansas, through the winter. The next year, he sold the cattle for a profit of $10,000. He was one of the first ranchers in Texas to buy steers and graze them for market.

So Burnett negotiated with legendary Comanche Chief Quanah Parker (1845-1911) for the lease of the Indian lands. Not only was Burnett able to acquire the use of some 300,000 acres of grassland, he gained the friendship of the Comanche leader. Quanah’s mother was the white woman, Cynthia Ann Parker, who was captured in a raid on Parker’s Fort in 1836. She married Peta Nocona, war chief of the Noconi band of the Comanches. Quanah grew to be a great leader of his people and eventually a friend of white leaders and ranches in the Southwest.

Burnett kept running 10,000 cattle until the end of the lease. The cattle baron had a strong feeling for Indian rights, and his respect for these native peoples was genuine. Where other cattle kings fought Indians and the harsh land to build empires, Burnett learned Comanche ways, passing both the love of the land and his friendship with the Indians to his family. As a sign of their regard for Burnett, the Comanches gave him a name in their own language: “MAS-SA-SUTA,” meaning “Big Boss.”

The much-needed lease continued until the early 1900s at which time the federal government ordered the land turned back to the tribes. Burnett traveled to Washington, D.C., where he met with President Theodore Roosevelt to ask for an extension on the lease. Roosevelt gave the ranchers two more years, allowing them time to find new ranges for their herds.

In the spring of 1905, Roosevelt came west for a visit to the Indian lands and the ranchers whom he had helped. Burk Burnett, his son Tom, and a small group of ranchers entertained the old Roughrider in rugged Texas style. The highlight of the visit was an unusual bare-handed hunt for coyotes and wolves.

The friendship which developed between Burnett and the President grew. In fact, it was Roosevelt, during a trip to Texas in 1910, who encouraged the town of Nesterville to be renamed “Burkburnett” in honor of his friend.

As the 19th Century drew to a close, the end of the open range was apparent. The only protection the cowman had was the private ownership of land. A purchase around 1900 of the 8 Ranch near Guthrie, Texas, in King County from the Louisville Land and Cattle Co., and the Dixon Creek Ranch near Panhandle, Texas, from the Cunard Line marked the beginning of the Burnett Ranches empire. The 8 Ranch became the nucleus of the present day Four SixesTM (6666) Ranch. These two large purchases, along with some later additions, amounted to a third of a million acres.

In his personal life, Burnett, at age 20, had married Ruth B. Loyd, daughter of Martin B. Loyd, founder of the First National Bank of Fort Worth. They had three children, two of whom, sadly, died young. Only their son Tom lived on to have a family and build his own ranching business. Burnett and Ruth later divorced, and he married Mary Couts Barradel in 1892. They had one son, Burk Burnett, Jr., who died in 1917.

Since 1900, Burnett had maintained a residence in Fort Worth, where his financial enterprises were headquartered. He was director and principal stockholder of the First National Bank of Fort Worth and President of the Ardmore Oil and Gin Milling Co. He made frequent trips to his ranches on his own custom-designed railroad car, carrying him from Fort Worth to Paducah, Texas. From there, he hitched his horse and buggy for the 30-mile drive south to Guthrie.

Burnett added to and developed his holdings, including the building of the Four Sixes Supply House and a new headquarters in Guthrie. In 1917, Burnett decided to build “the finest ranch house in West Texas” at Guthrie. It cost $100,000, an enormous sum for the time. Prestigious architectural firm Sanguiner and Staats of Fort Worth was hired to design a grand home to serve as ranch headquarters, to house the ranch manager and as a place to entertain guests. It was constructed with stone quarried right on the ranch. Other materials were brought in by rail car to Paducah, and then hauled by wagon to Guthrie.

With 11 bedrooms, it was, indeed, a favorite place to welcome guests. Burnett’s hospitality engaged such well-known visitors as President Roosevelt, Will Rogers and others. The home was filled with amazing items. In the main room, alone, visitors would see hunting trophies, exquisite art and personal items given to Burnett by his friend Quanah Parker and the Comanche chief’s wives. These priceless items remained in the house long after Burnett’s death and through several home remodeling projects. They were given by Burnett’s great-granddaughter, Anne W. Marion, to the National Ranching Heritage Center in Lubbock, Texas. Also of interest to note is that although Burnett had a bedroom in the home’s southeast corner, he chose to sleep in the back room of the rudimentary Four Sixes Supply House, where he maintained his office.

In 1921, oil was discovered on Burnett’s land near Dixon Creek, and his wealth increased dramatically. This discovery, and a later one in 1969 on the Guthrie property, would greatly benefit the Burnett family ranching business as it grew and developed throughout the 20th Century.

Captain Samuel “Burk” Burnett passed away on June 27, 1922. His will provided for the appointment of two trustees to manage his holdings. They, along with their successors, ran the Four Sixes Ranch until 1980, when Burk Burnett’s great-granddaughter, Anne W. Marion, took the reins into her capable hands."
Functional door?: yes

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the door handle. Add any information about your visit to your log.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unique Artistic Door Handles and Knockers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Benchmark Blasterz visited Grapevine Door Handle -- Oakwood Cemetery, Fort Worth TX USA 2/22/2022 Benchmark Blasterz visited it
WalksfarTX visited Grapevine Door Handle -- Oakwood Cemetery, Fort Worth TX USA 10/5/2019 WalksfarTX visited it

View all visits/logs