Eglise du couvent Saint-Dominique de Corbara - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 36.240 E 008° 54.650
32T E 492685 N 4716845
Quick Description: L'église, adossée à l'aile sud, est formée d'une nef à vaisseau central et chapelles latérales voûtées en berceau à lunettes. Le choeur comprend une première travée droite, prolongée par une abside en cul de four.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 2/25/2022 12:03:16 PM
Waymark Code: WM15TQJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 2

Long Description:

The church, leaning against the south wing, consists of a nave with a central vessel and side chapels vaulted in barrel vault. The choir includes a first right bay, extended by an apse in cul de four.


Le couvent de Saint-Dominique fondé en 1456 par deux religieux Franciscains de l’Ordre des Observantins. Après avoir été détruit lors de la Révolution, les Dominicains le reconstruisent en lieu d’étude. Il est occupé par la communauté de Saint-Jean.


The convent of Saint Dominic was founded in 1456 by two Franciscan monks of the Observantine Order. After being destroyed during the Revolution, the Dominicans rebuilt it as a place of study. It is now occupied by the community of Saint John.


Couvent Saint Dominique

Credits

Le couvent Saint-François d’Aregno a été fondé par les Frères Mineurs de l’Observance en 1456 Représentant l’un des plus vieux couvents de la province franciscaine de Corse. Sous la Révolution Française, les biens conventuels deviennent « bien national. De 1857 à 1864, les Dominicains s’adonnent à la reconstruction du couvent. Les dominicains le restaurèrent pour en faire une école pour les enfants de la région. Il se dote plus tard, d’un collège de philosophie et de théologie pour les étudiants religieux de la province de PARIS. Après la séparation de l’église et de l’état, les Dominicains sont chassés et le bâtiment devient la propriété de la commune de Corbara. Laissé à l’abandon, des prisonniers Allemands et Autrichiens y sont placés dedans. Puis, en 1927, le couvent revient aux mains des Dominicains pendant 66 années. En 1993, ce sont les frères de Saint-Jean qui reprennent le couvent du fait du départ des anciens. Pasquale de Paoli profita de ses nombreux séjours pour y réunir ses amis et ses conseillers de la région de Balagne. Des personnages illustres y ont séjourné tel que De Didon, Peyrefitte en passant par Roncalli ou encore Maupassant. Il constitue ainsi un véritable emblème pour la commune de Corbara.


Convent of Saint Dominic

The convent of Saint Francis of Aregno was founded by the Friars Minor of the Observance in 1456. It represents one of the oldest convents of the Franciscan province of Corsica. During the French Revolution, the conventual property became "national property. From 1857 to 1864, the Dominicans devoted themselves to the reconstruction of the convent. The Dominicans restored it to make it a school for the children of the region. Later, it was equipped with a college of philosophy and theology for religious students from the province of PARIS. After the separation of church and state, the Dominicans were expelled and the building became the property of the commune of Corbara. Left abandoned, German and Austrian prisoners were placed inside. Then, in 1927, the convent returned to the hands of the Dominicans for 66 years. In 1993, the friars of St. John took over the convent due to the departure of the old ones. Pasquale de Paoli took advantage of his numerous stays there to gather his friends and advisors from the Balagne region. Famous people stayed there such as De Didon, Peyrefitte through Roncalli or Maupassant. It is thus a true emblem for the town of Corbara.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)


Eglise du couvent Saint-Dominique de Corbara

Credits

le projet : sauver une église conventuelle du XVe siècle
Votre soutien est indispensable pour sauvegarder l’église du couvent Saint-Dominique, un édifice religieux datant du XVe siècle. Situé à Corbara, en Balagne, à 6 km de L’île-Rousse et à 24 km de Calvi, le couvent est un témoignage de l’empreinte franciscaine sur la Corse, terre de couvents. La restauration concerne l’église conventuelle et le clocher. Leurs façades présentent de nombreux dégâts sur les enduits et des fissures inquiétantes. De même les toitures nécessitent une révision et une restauration de la charpente. Le clocher est quant à lui devenu inutilisable, sont état de dégradation étant trop avancé.

Le lieu et son histoire : un couvent devenu prison
Fondé en 1456, le couvent Saint-Dominique de Corbara restera franciscain jusqu’à la révolution française. Ensuite inoccupé, c’est à partir de 1857 que les frères dominicains vont l’occuper, le restaurer et créer deux ailes supplémentaires. Ils y resteront jusqu’en 1905. Durant la Première Guerre mondiale le couvent est devenu un centre d’internement pour des prisonniers austro-allemands comme en témoignent les décors peints de certaines cellules. Le couvent sera remis en état par les dominicains en 1927 qui y demeureront jusqu’en 1993, année d’installation d’une nouvelle congrégation religieuse, les Frères de Saint-Jean.

Le couvent de Corbara est l'un des témoins de l'histoire de la Corse. La commune soucieuse de sa protection souhaite restaurer l'église et le clocher afin que cet élément majeur de notre patrimoine soit transmis aux générations futures.

La mobilisation : un couvent aux multiples activités
L’église et le clocher sont entièrement propriété de la commune de Corbara, tandis que la partie conventuelle est gérée par la congrégation religieuse qui l’occupe. Cette occupation contribue au rayonnement spirituel et culturel de la région. Fortement associé à l’histoire du village de Corbara, il est un lieu très visité offrant aux visiteurs de la Balagne la possibilité d’y passer quelques jours. La restauration de l’église et de son clocher est aussi un enjeu de sécurité pour les fidèles, les frères, ou les simples visiteurs et randonneurs de passage, à 25 km du départ du GR20.


Church of the Convent of Saint Dominic of Corbara

the project: saving a 15th century convent church
Your support is essential to save the church of the Saint-Dominique convent, a religious building dating from the 15th century. Located in Corbara, in the Balagne region, 6 km from Ile-Rousse and 24 km from Calvi, the convent is a testimony of the Franciscan imprint on Corsica, a land of convents. The restoration concerns the conventual church and the bell tower. Their facades present numerous damages on the coatings and worrying cracks. Similarly, the roofs require revision and restoration of the framework. The bell tower has become unusable, its state of deterioration being too advanced.

The place and its history: a convent that became a prison
Founded in 1456, the convent of Saint Dominic of Corbara remained Franciscan until the French Revolution. Then unoccupied, it is from 1857 that the Dominican friars will occupy it, restore it and create two additional wings. They remained there until 1905. During the First World War, the convent became an internment center for Austro-German prisoners, as the painted decorations in some of the cells show. The convent was restored by the Dominicans in 1927, who remained there until 1993, when a new religious congregation, the Brothers of St. John, moved in.

The convent of Corbara is one of the witnesses of the history of Corsica. The municipality, concerned about its protection, wishes to restore the church and the bell tower so that this major element of our heritage is transmitted to future generations.

The mobilization: a convent with multiple activities
The church and the bell tower are entirely owned by the commune of Corbara, while the conventual part is managed by the religious congregation that occupies it. This occupation contributes to the spiritual and cultural influence of the region. Strongly associated with the history of the village of Corbara, it is a place much visited offering to the visitors of the Balagne the possibility of spending a few days there. The restoration of the church and its bell tower is also a safety issue for the faithful, the brothers, or the simple visitors and hikers passing through, 25 km from the start of the GR20.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1456

Diocese: Bonifacio

Address/Location:
Couvent Saint Dominique
Corbara, France
20000


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.