Chapelle de la Nativité, dite chapelle Notre-Dame de Lazio - Corbara - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 36.119 E 008° 54.600
32T E 492617 N 4716620
Quick Description: Notre Dame du Lazio de Corbara est un sanctuaire antiques de Balagne reconstruite vers la fin XVIIIe et datant de l'époque médiévale.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 2/26/2022 12:06:25 PM
Waymark Code: WM15TWC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

Our Lady of the Lazio of Corbara is an ancient sanctuary of Balagne rebuilt in the late eighteenth century and dating from the medieval period.


Chapelle de la Nativité, dite chapelle Notre-Dame de Lazio

Credits

C’est le Guido de Sabellis qui, émerveillé par cette délicieuse vallée, donna le nom de sa province d’origine : le latium romain. Édifice reconstruit au cours du 3eme quart du XVIIIème siècle à l’emplacement d’une ancienne chapelle médiévale détruite en 1758 car jugée trop petite pour y accueillir tous les fidèles. Achevé en 1765. Il fut rapidement remplacé par une première chapelle dédiée à la vierge Marie, dont divers manuscrits notent que le frontispice extérieur était décoré de statues et de bas-reliefs. Démolie après 1758, une nouvelle chapelle, plus grande, est terminée en 1765. C’est grâce à ses nombreux pèlerinages, qui donnèrent au curé de Corbara, le titre d’archiprêtre de Notre-Dame du Latiu. Plusieurs cérémonies se déroulent tous les ans dans cette chapelle. Elle est inscrite au titre de l’inventaire des Monuments Historiques de France depuis 1985.


Chapel of the Nativity, known as the Chapel of Our Lady of Lazio

It was Guido de Sabellis who, amazed by this delightful valley, gave it the name of its province of origin: the Roman latium. The building was rebuilt in the third quarter of the 18th century on the site of an ancient medieval chapel that was destroyed in 1758 because it was considered too small to accommodate all the faithful. It was completed in 1765. It was quickly replaced by a first chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, whose various manuscripts note that the exterior frontispiece was decorated with statues and bas-reliefs. Demolished after 1758, a new, larger chapel was completed in 1765. It is thanks to its numerous pilgrimages, that gave the parish priest of Corbara the title of archpriest of Our Lady of Latiu. Several ceremonies take place every year in this chapel. It is registered in the inventory of the Historical Monuments of France since 1985.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1765

Age of Church building determined by?: Church website

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Street address of Church: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.