Église de la Sainte-Trinité d'Aregno - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 34.933 E 008° 53.829
32T E 491560 N 4714427
Quick Description: Véritable bijou de l’Art Roman, cet édifice fut construit vers l’an 1100. Les blocs de granit constituant sa façade sont de 3 couleurs, 3 étant le chiffre de la Trinité : le beige symbolise le Père, le vert le Fils et le roux le Saint Esprit.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 3/10/2022 10:57:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM15WNR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 2

Long Description:

A true jewel of Romanesque art, this building was built around the year 1100. The granite blocks constituting its facade are of 3 colors, 3 being the number of the Trinity: the beige symbolizes the Father, the green the Son and the red the Holy Spirit.


Aregno, église de la Sainte-Trinité et de Saint Jean-Baptiste

Credits

L'église de la Sainte-Trinité et de Saint-Jean-Baptiste, ancienne piévanie d’Aregno, est située au cœur de l’actuel cimetière communal, à proximité du village. Elle date vraisemblablement de la première moitié du XIIe siècle.

Ornée de peintures monumentales au cours du XVe siècle, elle est décrite en 1589 par le visiteur apostolique Mgr Mascardi, qui signale aussi la présence d’une tour-clocher attenante à l’église et portant une seule cloche, elle sera détruite au cours du XIXe siècle.
Classée dans son ensemble au titre des monuments historiques en 1883, elle fait l’objet d’une importante restauration en 1887.
De nouveaux chantiers seront lancés en 1968, 1989 et 2009.

L’église, de plan allongé, est formée d’une nef unique couverte d’une charpente en bois apparente, prolongée par une abside semi-circulaire voûtée en cul-de-four. Sa toiture est en tuiles romaines. Elle est réalisée en moyen appareil réglé et assisé aux couleurs ocre, blanche et noire réparties de façon aléatoire. Ses élévations sont ornées d’arcatures plein cintre en saillie, reposant sur des modillons au décor sculpté composé de figures géométriques, phytomorphes et zoomorphes en plat-relief ou en bas-relief.
Des personnages humains en ronde-bosse ornent l’élévation antérieure. On peut notamment voir, sur le fronton, un personnage extrayant une épine de son pied gauche. Les parois intérieures, partiellement dépourvues d’enduit, comportent des peintures monumentales réalisées sur enduit a fresco, telles celles datant de 1458, figurant les Docteurs de l’Eglise : saint Augustin, saint Grégoire, saint Jérôme et saint Ambroise, tenant tous quatre une Bible sur leurs genoux, ou la figure de l’Archange saint Michel, peseur des âmes et terrassant le dragon, exécutée en 1448. L’arc triomphal supportait également un décor peint, aujourd’hui effacé.


Aregno, Church of the Holy Trinity and St. John the Baptist

The church of the Holy Trinity and St. John the Baptist, ancient piety of Aregno, is located in the heart of the current communal cemetery, near the village. It probably dates from the first half of the 12th century.

Decorated with monumental paintings during the 15th century, it is described in 1589 by the apostolic visitor Mgr Mascardi, who also points out the presence of a bell tower adjoining the church and bearing a single bell, it will be destroyed during the 19th century.
Classified as a historical monument in 1883, it underwent a major restoration in 1887.
New projects were launched in 1968, 1989 and 2009.

The church, of elongated plan, is formed of a single nave covered with a visible wooden frame, extended by a semicircular apse with a cul-de-four vault. Its roof is made of Roman tiles. The roof is made of Roman tiles and is made of a medium-sized, randomly distributed ochre, white and black stone. Its elevations are adorned with protruding semi-circular arches, resting on modillions with sculpted decoration composed of geometric, phytomorphic and zoomorphic figures in flat or low relief.
Human figures in the round adorn the front elevation. In particular, the pediment shows a figure extracting a thorn from its left foot. The interior walls, partially unplastered, contain monumental paintings done on plaster a fresco, such as those dating from 1458, depicting the Doctors of the Church: St. Augustine, St. Gregory, St. Jerome and St. Ambrose, all four holding a Bible on their knees, or the figure of the Archangel St. Michael, weigher of souls and slaying the dragon, executed in 1448. The triumphal arch also supported a painted decoration, now erased.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Restored building not in use

Date of building construction: 1/1/1100

Dominant Architectural Style: Roman

Diocese: Bastia

Address/Location:
Cimetière d'aregno
Aregno, France
20000


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.