Wayne County - Lodi, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 37° 15.465 W 090° 27.132
15S E 725945 N 4126508
County founding information, high-lights of its growth. Located in roadside park, US-67 @ Lodi, Mo.
Waymark Code: WM15X7
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 01/26/2007
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member OzarksJim
Views: 47

County of marker: Wayne County
Location of marker: old US 67, roadside park, Lodi
Marker erected by: State of Missouri Historical Society and Missouri Highway Commission
Date marker erected: 1959

Marker text:
Early called the "State of Wayne" for its vast size when it was organized in 1818, the county once extended to the western border of Missouri Territory. Now 741 sq. miles of the eastern fringe of the Ozarks, the county is a livestock, poultry, fruit, and timber producer and resort area of fishing streams and man-made lakes. The county name is for Rev. [Revolutionary War] Gen. (Mad) Anthony Wayne.

Greenville, the county seat, was laid out in 1819 by David Logan and Elijah Bettis at a ford on the St. Francis River. In 1940, the town was moved to higher ground and the old site abandoned to the rising waters of Lake Wappappello impounded by a dam built, 1936-41, on the St. Francis.1

Piedmont, in the northwestern Wayne County, laid out near old Danielsville, 1871, by the St. Louis, Iron Mt. R.R. (Mo.Pac.) lies 3 miles from the dam built, 1940-48, on the Black River to form Clearwater Lake. Patterson, Isabell's store in the 1850's, named for the pioneers George and John Patterson, 1861, is near Sam A. Baker State Park, founded in 1926, named for 36th Gov. of Mo. Sam A. Baker (1874-1933) born in Patterson.

One of Missouri's first 15 counties, Wayne lies in a region known to prehistoric tribes, claimed by Osage Indians until 1808, and roamed by Delaware, Shawnee, and other Indians into the 1830's. Southern pioneers settled Spanish land grants in early 1800's.

In the War Between the States, guerrilla bands ravished the countryside. Skirmishes took place at Greenville in Oct., 1861; at Patterson in Feb., 1863; and at Stoney Point in Sept., 1864. Postwar growth began with coming of the St. Louis, Iron Mt. R.R. in 1871. Large lumber companies cut out the fine forests from the 1880's into the 1900's. Part of Wayne is now Clark National Forest.2 Schools in 1880's were Concordia College (Lutheran) at Gravelton; Hale's College on Otter Creek; Wayne Academy, Piedmont.

In Lon Sanders Canyon are old granite quarries and restored 1812 Joseph Stokley pioneer cabin,3 and near Williamsville is the pioneer Dees Chapel. In the State Park are Civil War Breatsworks. Gads Hill was scene of a train robbery, Jan. 3, 1874, credited to the Jameses and Youngers. Bernard McFadden (1868-1955), publisher, was born in Mills Spring.

History of Mark:

Corrections and additions since 1959:

1. The correct spelling is Wappapello.

2. Clark National Forest was combined with the Mark Twain National Forest in 1976.

3. The correct spelling is "Stokely". The cabin is no longer standing.

Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.