Couvent de Marcassu - Corse - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 34.467 E 008° 53.196
32T E 490693 N 4713565
Quick Description: La première pierre de ce couvent de Balagne fût posée le 5 septembre 1623, sur des terrains cédés gracieusement par trois habitants de Cateri. Elle fit l'objet d'une cérémonie officielle. L'édifice domine toute la plaine d'Aregno.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 3/17/2022 12:35:32 PM
Waymark Code: WM15XGW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

The first stone of this convent of Balagne was laid on September 5, 1623, on land graciously given by three inhabitants of Cateri. It was the object of an official ceremony. The building dominates the whole plain of Aregno.


Couvent de Marcassu

Credits

Son emplacement avait été choisi deux ans plus tôt, le 6 mai 1621, et matérialisé par une croix posée sur les ruines d'une ancienne commanderie.
Il aura fallu en tout deux siècles et des travaux constants pour achever cet imposant édifice de plus de 1500 m².

Il se compose d'environ 40 salles, d'un cloître et d'une église; cette dernière fût en ce temps l'église paroissiale de Cateri.

En 1642, la population du couvent était très importante et de nombreuses cultures furent développées dans ses dépendances; par conséquent, les besoins en eau ont, de fait, augmentés.
C'est la raison pour laquelle il fut demandé à la commune limitrophe, Lavatoggio, une donation en eau.

La commune fit donation au couvent des eaux provenant du "Capu di Guestia è Monacu Mortu". 9 ans plus tard, une autre donation d'eau provenant de Quarciolu et Parnicale fut faite; en revanche, cette eau n'était à disposition que de mi juillet à fin octobre.

En 1789, le couvent de Marcassu fut décrété Bien National et vendu aux enchères à Joseph Salvini de Nessa après l'expulsion des frères franciscains qui l'occupait.

En 1806, Joseph Salvini vendit les 2 grosses cloches (achetées par la fabrique de Sant Antonio) et les orgues. Il céda également le maître autel en marbre polychrome qui orne désormais l'église de Cateri.


Convent of Marcassu

Its location had been chosen two years earlier, on May 6, 1621, and materialized by a cross placed on the ruins of an old commandery.
It took two centuries and constant work to complete this imposing building of more than 1500 m².

It consists of about 40 rooms, a cloister and a church; the latter was at that time the parish church of Cateri.

In 1642, the population of the convent was very large and many crops were developed in its outbuildings; therefore, the need for water increased.
For this reason, the neighboring municipality of Lavatoggio was asked for a donation of water.

The commune donated the water from the "Capu di Guestia è Monacu Mortu" to the convent. 9 years later, another donation of water coming from Quarciolu and Parnicale was made; however, this water was only available from mid-July to the end of October.

In 1789, the convent of Marcassu was decreed a National Good and sold at auction to Joseph Salvini of Nessa after the expulsion of the Franciscan friars who occupied it.

In 1806, Joseph Salvini sold the 2 big bells (bought by the factory of Sant Antonio) and the organs. He also sold the high altar in polychrome marble that now adorns the church of Cateri.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Couvent de Marcassu

Address:
Couvent de Marcassu
Sant Antonino, France
20000


Religious affiliation: Catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1623

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.