Pisgah Baptist Church Cross - Pisgah, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 46.572 W 092° 39.061
15S E 530314 N 4291999
Quick Description: Pisgah is a ghost town, with the town gone, but a few homes remain, with the church and cemetery
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 3/22/2022 7:03:52 AM
Waymark Code: WM15YB7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of church: Cooper County
Location of church: State Hwy O & Pisgah Rd., Pisgah
Built: 1871
Pastor: Tony Barnett

Cross is a simple, wood, log, cross assembled and standing in front of the church


"One of the oldest Southern Baptist churches in Missouri will celebrate 200 years of Christian work at a special worship service at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 23.

"Pisgah Baptist Church members invite former members, friends and the public to celebrate with them. Calvin Brown, director of missions for Concord Baptist Association, will preach. The church is located on Highway O, approximately one mile south of the intersection of Highways O and J in Cooper County. Terry Barnett is pastor.

"Established June 19, 1819, Pisgah Baptist was organized in the home of Lewis Shelton, with John B. Longan as a founder and first pastor. Longan, pastor until 1847, and the church played a major role in starting Concord Baptist Association in 1825 and the General Association of United Baptists of Missouri (now the Missouri Baptist Convention) in 1834.

"Longan and the church were instrumental in or assisted with organizing at least eight additional churches in the mid-Missouri area in the early- to mid-1800s, including Mount Gilead Baptist Church (now First Baptist Church of California) in 1833 and Cole Spring Baptist Church, near Russellville, in 1835.

"Early in the church’s history, its council voted against slavery. Membership included 75 African Americans among its 368 members in 1864. Pisgah Baptist assisted its black members to form a separate church in Pisgah in 1871.

"Pisgah Baptist members constructed their first building in 1821. They built a brick structure at its current location in 1838. It was replaced by the current building in 1871. Sunday School and Church Training programs were established. Women members organized Woman’s Missionary Union in 1939." ~ Word & Way


"The Pisgah Baptist Church was organized at a meeting at the residence of Lewis Shelton on June 19, 1819 with the following charter members: The Rev. William Jennings, Rev. Jacob Chism, Priscilla Chism, David Jones, Tabitha Jones, James Maxey, William Howard, Leven Savage, Polly Savage, Joseph McClure, Elizabeth McClure, John Bivian, Mary Bivian, Rhoda Stephens, Isabella Pontan, Sarah Woods, The Rev. John B. Longan, John Apperson, Sela Apperson, Jesse Martin, Mary Martin, and Pollie Longan. The first meeting-house was erected not long after the congregation had affected the organization and was situated at a point a half mile east of the present edifice. This primitive church building was, in time, supplemented by a brick building, which in 1871 gave way to a much larger, frame building, which has since supplied the needs of the congregation. The first congregation was presided over by John B. Longan and Kemp Scott." ~ Cooper MoGenWeb

Visit Instructions:
Please take a photo of the cross on your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Churchyard Crosses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.