East Windsor Historical Society - East Windsor, CT
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 41° 54.021 W 072° 34.803
18T E 700733 N 4641544
Quick Description: The headquarters of the East Windsor Historical Society is located in Federal style East Windsor Academy located at 115 Scantic Road, East Windsor, CT.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 4/20/2022 9:29:03 AM
Waymark Code: WM162EX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 0

Long Description:

The East Windsor Academy has a remarkable history. The building was built in 1817 by a group of stockholders known as the Academy Company. The lower floor was used as a school for boys and staffed by college students primarily from Yale University and Williams College. The upper floor was used for various purposes including: exhibitions, singing schools, lectures, making clothing for charity, and receptions for returning Civil War veterans.

In 1871 the Academy Company transferred the school to the First Ecclesiastical Society of the nearby First Congregational Church. The church then used the lower floor for prayer meetings and social meetings. The East Windsor Grange No. 94 occupied the upper floor from 1889 to 1901. In 1896 the building became an East Windsor public school until 1938 when it was closed due to consolidation.

The vacant building was converted to two apartments and in 1968 the upper floor was used by the fledgling East Windsor Historical Society as a museum. In 1995 the entire building was acquired by the East Windsor Historical Society. It was restored and is used as their headquarters and for a local history museum. The East Windsor Historical Society was founded in 1965 in preparation for the bicentennial celebration of the incorporation of the Town of East Windsor.

According to the website of the East Windsor Historical Society: Link

"Our purposes are to discover, procure, and preserve whatever may relate to the civil, ecclesiastical and natural history of the Town of East Windsor in particular and to the state of Connecticut in general. Its aim is also to collect, preserve and publish historical and biographical material relating to East Windsor and its five villages: Broad Brook, Melrose, Scantic, Warehouse Point, and Windsorville."

East Windsor Academy a two-story brick building with a gable roof with interior chimneys near each gable end. The façade is seven bays wide. With entrances on the first and seventh bay and five 3 by 2 double hung windows at the middle bays. The upper level has seven windows matching those on the lower level. Between the levels is a sign which is inscribed EAST WINDSOR ACADEMY 1817.

The north gable end is two bays wide with a pediment. A set of stairs leading up to an auxiliary entrance on the second bay of the upper floor. The remaining bays contain windows matching the front windows. The south gable end is two bays wide with a pediment and has windows matching the front windows at each bay.

Address:
115 Scantic Road
East Windsor, CT United States
06088


Web Address: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation: Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 noon

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Historical Society Headquarters
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.