East Windsor Academy - 1817 - East Windsor, CT
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 41° 54.021 W 072° 34.803
18T E 700733 N 4641544
Quick Description: The Federal style East Windsor Academy is a former school that is now the home of the East Windsor Historical Society and Museum. It is located at 115 Scantic Road, East Windsor, CT.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 4/22/2022 8:01:55 AM
Waymark Code: WM162PJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
Views: 2

Long Description:

The historic East Windsor Academy was built in 1817 by a group of stockholders known as the Academy Company. The lower floor was used as a school for boys and staffed by college students primarily from Yale University and Williams College. The upper floor was used for various purposes including: exhibitions, singing schools, lectures, making clothing for charity, and receptions for returning Civil War veterans.

In 1871 the Academy Company transferred the school to the First Ecclesiastical Society of the nearby First Congregational Church. The church then used the lower floor for prayer meetings and social meetings. The East Windsor Grange No. 94 occupied the upper floor from 1889 to 1901. In 1896 the building became an East Windsor public school, District 1, until 1938 when it was closed due to consolidation.

The vacant building was converted to two apartments and in 1968 the upper floor was used by the East Windsor Historical Society as a museum. In 1995 the entire building was acquired by the East Windsor Historical Society. It was restored and is used as a museum.

East Windsor Academy a two-story brick building with a gable roof with interior chimneys near each gable end. The façade is seven bays wide. With entrances on the first and seventh bay and five 3 by 2 double hung windows at the middle bays. The upper level has seven windows matching those on the lower level. Between the levels is a sign which is inscribed EAST WINDSOR ACADEMY 1817.

The north gable end is two bays wide with a pediment. A set of stairs leading up to an auxiliary entrance on the second bay of the upper floor. The remaining bays contain windows matching the front windows. The south gable end is two bays wide with a pediment and has windows matching the front windows at each bay.

Year built or dedicated as indicated on the structure or plaque: 1817

Full Inscription (unless noted above):
EAST WINDSOR ACADEMY 1817


Website (if available): [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:


Any log as a visit to a waymark will require a picture as proof that the person visited a particular dated architectural structure. Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.