Chapelle du rosaire - Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption d'Ajaccio - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 41° 55.037 E 008° 44.264
32T E 478252 N 4640626
Quick Description: La Cathédrale Notre Dame de l’Assomption est située dans la vieille ville. Sa façade ocre, son dôme imposant et ses chapelles richement décorées dans le style baroque lui confèrent un irrésistible charme.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 5/22/2022 3:10:31 AM
Waymark Code: WM166ZP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member GeoRams
Views: 0

Long Description:

The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption is located in the old town. Its ochre façade, its imposing dome and its richly decorated chapels in the baroque style give it an irresistible charm.


La chapelle de Notre-Dame du Rosaire fut consacrée en 1765 ; selon la tradition, la famille Bonaparte aurait eu son tombeau à cet emplacement. L’arc de la chapelle est orné de peintures représentant les mystères de la Vierge et deux niches abritent les statues de Saint-Dominique et de Saint-Catherine de Sienne. Deux paires de colonnes torses en marbre noir encadrent une statue de Notre-Dame du Rosaire.


The Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary was consecrated in 1765; according to tradition, the Bonaparte family had their tomb there. L’arc de la chapelle est orné de peintures représentant les mystères de la Vierge et deux niches abritent les statues de Saint-Dominique et de Saint-Catherine de Sienne. Two pairs of black marble twisted columns frame a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary.


Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption d'Ajaccio

Credits

Construite entre 1554 et 1596 en forme de croix grecque, style renaissance, cette église dédiée à l'Assomption de la Vierge, remplace la chapelle Sainte Croix démolie en 1554 au moment de l'édification de la citadelle. Restée inachevée, la cathédrale d'Ajaccio est intéressante notamment à cause des trésors qu'elle renferme.
Tournée vers la mer, la cathédrale d'Ajaccio est un lieu à découvrir. Elle abrite entre autres la chapelle de la Madonna del Pianto (16ème siècle), de beaux stucs attribués au Tintoret fils et la Vierge du Sacré-Coeur d'Eugène Delacroix.
La chapelle de la Vierge de la Miséricorde, Sainte patronne d'Ajaccio, elle fut érigée en 1752 pour honorer le voeu collectif prononcé par les notables de la ville à la suite de la grande peste de 1656 qui allait épargner Ajaccio. Remarquez le retable avec incrustations de marbres rares et les belles colonnes torses en marbre jaune Brocatello d'Espagne. Dans la niche, se trouve la statue qui est portée en procession tous les 18 mars. Au fond à gauche, vous pourrez admirer Notre-Dame du Rosaire, chapelle funéraire des Bonaparte avant la construction de la Chapelle Impériale rue Fesch. Le maître-autel en marbre blanc et marqueterie de marbres provenant de Lucques en Italie (consacré en 1580) a été offert par Elisa Bacciochi, soeur de Napoléon. Remarquez également le retable en marbre noir de Porto Venere. Une belle statue en marbre de l'Immaculée Conception (18ème siècle) se trouve dans la 2ème chapelle à droite.


Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption of Ajaccio

Built between 1554 and 1596 in the shape of a Greek cross, in the Renaissance style, this church dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin, replaces the Sainte Croix chapel demolished in 1554 at the time of the construction of the citadel. Unfinished, the cathedral of Ajaccio is interesting because of the treasures it contains.
Facing the sea, the cathedral of Ajaccio is a place to discover. It shelters among others the chapel of the Madonna del Pianto (16th century), beautiful stuccos attributed to Tintoret son and the Virgin of the Sacred Heart by Eugene Delacroix.
The chapel of the Virgin of Mercy, patron saint of Ajaccio, was erected in 1752 to honor the collective vow made by the town's notables following the great plague of 1656 which spared Ajaccio. Note the altarpiece with rare marble inlays and the beautiful spiral columns in yellow Brocatello marble from Spain. In the niche is the statue that is carried in procession every 18th of March. At the back on the left, you can admire Our Lady of the Rosary, funeral chapel of the Bonapartes before the construction of the Imperial Chapel on rue Fesch. The high altar in white marble and marble inlay from Lucca in Italy (consecrated in 1580) was offered by Elisa Bacciochi, sister of Napoleon. Note also the black marble altarpiece from Porto Venere. A beautiful marble statue of the Immaculate Conception (18th century) is in the second chapel on the right.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Approximate Age of Artefact: 1765

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.