Sphinx leeuwen Nieuport Memorial - Nieuwpoort - Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Andre 61
N 51° 08.216 E 002° 45.339
31U E 482904 N 5665080
Quick Description: Sphinx leeuwen Nieuport Memorial in- Nieuwpoort
Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Date Posted: 6/8/2022 2:55:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM169NT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
Het Nieuport Memorial is een gedenkteken dat herinnert aan de Eerste Wereldoorlog en is gelegen in de Belgische havenstad Nieuwpoort nabij de monding van de rivier de IJzer. Op het monument staan 547 namen van Britse officieren en soldaten zonder gekend graf die in 1914 gedood werden bij de belegering van Antwerpen of de verdediging van dit deel van het westfront van juni tot november 1917. Degenen die in 1914 vochten waren lid van de Royal Naval Division. De gevechten in 1917, toen het 15e Legerkorps de lijn van Sint-Joris naar de zee verdedigde, betrof inclusief het gebruik van Duitse chemische wapens, zoals mosterdgas en Blaukreuz.

Het gedenkteken is ontworpen door de Schotse architect William Bryce Binnie en is een acht meter hoge zuil van Euvillesteen. De namen van de vermisten zijn te lezen op de bronzen panelen rond de basis van de zuil. Drie leeuwen, gebeeldhouwd door de Britse beeldhouwer Charles Sargeant Jagger, houden de wacht op de hoeken van het driehoekige geplaveid platform waarop het gedenkteken geplaatst is.

Het monument werd onthuld op 1 juli 1928 door Sir George MacDonogh, een commissaris voor de Imperial War Graves Commission. MacDonogh was stafofficier en generaal geweest voor de directie van de militaire inlichtingendienst gedurende het grootste deel van de oorlog en werd benoemd tot adjudant-generaal van de strijdkrachten in september 1918.
bron (visit link)
----------------

The Nieuport Memorial is a memorial to the First World War located in the Belgian port of Nieuwpoort near the mouth of the Yser River. The memorial lists 547 names of British officers and soldiers with no known grave who were killed in 1914 during the siege of Antwerp or the defence of this part of the Western Front from June to November 1917. Those who fought in 1914 were members of the Royal Naval Division. The fighting in 1917, when the 15th Army Corps defended the line from St George's to the sea, included the use of German chemical weapons, such as mustard gas and Blaukreuz.

The memorial was designed by Scottish architect William Bryce Binnie and is an eight-metre high column of Euville Stone. The names of the missing can be read on the bronze panels around the base of the column. Three lions, sculpted by British sculptor Charles Sargeant Jagger, stand guard at the corners of the triangular paved platform on which the memorial is placed.

The memorial was unveiled on 1 July 1928 by Sir George MacDonogh, a commissioner for the Imperial War Graves Commission. MacDonogh had been a staff officer and general in charge of Military Intelligence for most of the war and was appointed Adjutant General of the Armed Forces in September 1918.
source (visit link)
Statue Name: Nieuport Memorial

Style: Egyptian

Medium: Euville-steen

Head Type: Other

Specify Other Head: leeuw

Website: [Web Link]

Head Namesake: Not listed

Street Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Post a picture of your GPS (time stamp), and maybe another of the statue.

Please update any changes in the status of the statue or it's surroundings.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Sphinx Sculptures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Andre 61 visited Sphinx leeuwen Nieuport Memorial - Nieuwpoort - Belgium 6/14/2022 Andre 61 visited it