Jindrichuv Hradec Chateau by Josef Hurt - Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Republic
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ToRo61
N 49° 08.556 E 015° 00.207
33U E 500251 N 5443308
Quick Description: Jindrichuv Hradec Chateau by Josef Hurt
Location: Jihočeský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 6/18/2022 8:08:21 AM
Waymark Code: WM16B0A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 1

Long Description:
The town Jindrichuv Hradec is an important centre in South Bohemia and the historical part of the town was declared to the town reserve. It lies around Vajgar pond on the Nežárka river about 50 km north-east of the town Ceské Budejovice, 475 m a.s.l.

There used to be a Slavonic fort in the place of the present town in the 10th century. The Romanesque-Gothic castle, first mentioned in 1220, was founded here by Jindrich I of Hradec. Originally it was called Nova Domus or Neuhaus (New House). The market village, which arose around the castle, was called Hradec (or Gradec) from 1242. In 1293 it already was a fortified town. The so-called New Town, the new part which was built on the northern outskirts of the town, was added in the 15th century. The first prints (type of present newspaper) written in the Czech language were published in Hradec. The biggest progress of the town started in the 16th century. Hradec became a centre of the large domain and most of important trade routes to Austria ran through the town. Drapery, fishing, brewing and breeding sheep developed most of all. The town was reconstructed in the Renaissance style and it was the owner of the largest domain in Bohemia till the 20th century.

The most important sight in Jindrichuv Hradec is the Gothic-Renaissance chateau, which arose from the original Gothic castle on the rock spit above the Nežárka river near Vajgar pond.

Only part of the town walls with the bastions on the eastern outskirts of the historical centre and the bastion called Solnice (Salt-House) have been preserved from the fortification from the 15th century. This substituted the original fortification system from the 13th century. The town had three gateways, but only one, Nežárecká Brána (Nežárka Gate), has been preserved to this day.

The Column of the Most Holy Trinity (1768) is the dominant feature of the trapezoidal square in the historical centre. A lot of Gothic houses (from the end of the 14th century) and Renaissance houses (16th century) can be seen around the square. Most of them were reconstructed after the fire in 1801 and they have some elements from later architectonic styles.


The author this painting is a Czech landscape painter and theatre director Josef Hurt. He was born on 11 April 1881 in Olešnice near Jihlava and died in April 1945 in the Terezín. He studied under S. Sucharda at the UMPRUM in Prague. You can find this picture in book 'Zapomenuté obrazy' 25
Website of painting. Exact URL of painting is required: [Web Link]

Artist: Josef Hurt

Date of Your Photograph: 6/2/2022

Medium of Painting: watercolours

Date of Painting: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, and contribute at least one photo, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Paintings Then and Now
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.