Église Saint-Roch d'Ajaccio - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 41° 55.332 E 008° 44.252
32T E 478236 N 4641171
Quick Description: L'église Saint-Roch d'Ajaccio est une église de style néoclassique réalisée sur un projet de 1885 de l'architecte ajaccien Barthélémy Maglioli (Ajaccio 1856-1909).
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 7/7/2022 11:27:40 AM
Waymark Code: WM16DGF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member GeoRams
Views: 2

Long Description:

La chaire, en marbre blanc, avec au milieu un médaillon sculpté représentant Saint Roch avec son chien.


The pulpit, in white marble, with a carved medallion in the middle depicting Saint Roch with his dog.


The church of Saint-Roch of Ajaccio is a church of neoclassical style realized on a project of 1885 of the Ajaccio architect Barthélémy Maglioli (Ajaccio 1856-1909).


Eglise Saint Roch

Sign

CONSTRUITE A LA FIN DU XIXème SIECLE SUR L'EMPLACEMENT DE L'ANCIENNE FONTAINE DU CANNETU, ELLE EST OUVERTE AU CULTE EN 1895.
En effet, la population plus nombreuse, avait décidé alors la construction d'une nouvelle église. Le terrain en avait été offert à la ville en 1867 par le général Tiburce Sebastiani, qui avait construit un immeuble de caractère (démoli dans les années 1960) à proximité du théâtre.
Etabli selon les plans de Barthélémy Maglioli (1856-1909), le projet sera simplifié et modifié par la suite. L'église est de style néoclassique avec sonportail en plein cintre flanqué de six colonnes doriques surmonté d'un fronton triangulaire. A l'intérieur, moulurations et trompe-l'oeil lui apportent la solennité qui sied à un édifice religieux.
Le clocher a été érigé en 1934.


Saint Roch Church

BUILT AT THE END OF THE 19th CENTURY ON THE SITE OF THE OLD CANNETU FOUNTAIN, IT WAS OPENED TO THE CULTE IN 1895.
Indeed, the more numerous population had decided to build a new church. The land had been offered to the city in 1867 by General Tiburce Sebastiani, who had built a building of character (demolished in the 1960s) near the theater.
The project was drawn up according to the plans of Barthélémy Maglioli (1856-1909) and was later simplified and modified. The church is in the neoclassical style with a semicircular portal flanked by six Doric columns topped by a triangular pediment. Inside, moldings and trompe-l'oeil give it the solemnity that befits a religious building.
The bell tower was erected in 1934.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Approximate Age of Artefact: Not listed

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.