Le siège de présidence - Eglise Saint-Spiridon dite grecque - Cargese - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 08.016 E 008° 35.709
32T E 466541 N 4664688
Quick Description: L'église succède à une chapelle établie en 1775 dans une maison de la colonie grecque et est dédiée à Spyridon, évêque chypriote du 3è siècle et patron des marins. L'église est édifiée par les habitants de 1868 à 1874 et contient de superbes icônes.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 7/17/2022 8:07:12 AM
Waymark Code: WM16EZ8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:

Le siège de présidence est réalisé dans un bois clair richement sculpté, avec dexu colonnes et sur le fronton un aigle à deux tâtes couronné


The chair is made of richly carved light wood, with dexu columns and on the pediment a crowned two-tailed eagle


.

The church is the successor of a chapel established in 1775 in a house of the Greek colony and is dedicated to Spyridon, Cypriot bishop of the 3rd century and patron saint of sailors. The church was built by the inhabitants from 1868 to 1874 and contains beautiful icons.


Eglise Saint-Spiridon dite grecque

Credits

L'église Saint-Spyridon (San Spiridionu) dite grecque est une église grecque-catholique hellène, dédiée à saint Spyridon, évêque chypriote du iiie siècle et patron des marins. Cette église a remplacé la chapelle établie en 1775 dans l'une des maisons de la colonie grecque.

Elle a été édifiée par les habitants de Cargèse de 1868 à 1874. Le sanctuaire est séparé de la nef par une cloison de bois décorée d'images saintes sur fond d'or (iconostase). On peut y admirer de superbes icônes apportées par les premiers habitants.

En 1846, la colonie grecque qui comptait 525 personnes, exprime son souhait de pouvoir disposer d'une église pouvant accueillir tous les fidèles du rite grec. L'édifice, inspiré du style néo-gothique, a été édifié dans le dernier tiers du xixe siècle. Il comporte une façade antérieure épaulée par des contreforts et couronnée d'un clocher sur le pan. Le chevet est plat. L'intérieur se compose d'une seule nef séparée du sanctuaire par une iconostase. L'iconostase séparant la nef du sanctuaire est l'œuvre d'un atelier romain pour l'église du monastère Santa Maria di Grottaferrata. Elle a été offerte à l'église grecque de Cargèse en 1886, par Mgr Siméoni, préfet de la Congrégation « Propaganda Fide ». Les murs sont percés de treize niches à fond plat, inscrites dans des arcs brisés. Le décor est néo-classique.

Élévation, toiture et décor intérieur sont protégés et classés monuments historiques par arrêté du 30 juin 1990.

Les objets mobiliers qu'elle renferme sont protégés.


Saint-Spiridon's church, called Greek

The so-called Greek Church of St. Spyridon (San Spiridionu) is a Greek Catholic church dedicated to St. Spyridon, Cypriot bishop of the second century and patron saint of sailors. This church replaced the chapel established in 1775 in one of the houses of the Greek colony.

It was built by the inhabitants of Cargese from 1868 to 1874. The sanctuary is separated from the nave by a wooden partition decorated with holy images on a golden background (iconostasis). One can admire there superb icons brought by the first inhabitants.

In 1846, the Greek colony, which numbered 525 people, expressed its wish to have a church that could accommodate all the faithful of the Greek rite. The building, inspired by the neo-Gothic style, was built in the last third of the 19th century. It has a front façade supported by buttresses and crowned by a bell tower on the side. The chevet is flat. The interior consists of a single nave separated from the sanctuary by an iconostasis. The iconostasis separating the nave from the sanctuary is the work of a Roman workshop for the church of the monastery Santa Maria di Grottaferrata. It was donated to the Greek church of Cargese in 1886, by Bishop Simeoni, prefect of the Congregation "Propaganda Fide". The walls are pierced by thirteen niches with flat bottoms, set in pointed arches. The decoration is neo-classical.

The elevation, the roof and the interior decoration are protected and classified as historical monuments by decree of June 30, 1990.

The movable objects it contains are protected.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Approximate age of artefact (Year): 150

Relevant website: Not listed

Times available for viewing: Not listed

Entrance fee (if applicable), local currency: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark, and write something about your visit.
 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wooden Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.