Pearson Mill Stones - Springfield, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 13.055 W 093° 17.494
15S E 474131 N 4119049
Quick Description: This grinding and sharpening stone is located on the southern grounds of the Greene County Courthouse - 940 N Boonville Avenue in Springfield, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 10/12/2022 11:04:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM16VRF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 2

Long Description:
This grinding and sharpening stone from the Pearson Mill are on display on the southern grounds of the Greene County Courthouse. The grinding stone is larger - approximately 3 feet in diameter - and has grooves angled from the center. The sharpening stone is much smaller - 18 inches in diameter - and is ungrooved. The text on the marker reads:

Pearson Mill Stones

These stones are from the mill of Jeremiah
Pierson, namesake of Pearson Creek, who
ground corn for the Delaware Indians and
early settlers in the area in the 1820's.

Josiah F. Danforth purchased the mill and land
in 1832 and these stones were listed in
Danforth's estate inventory of 1849.

In 1970, these stones were moved to Lockport,
LA by Danforth's descendants and were
donated back to Greene County by Mary J.
McKerall and Josiah Danforth McKerall III.

The larger stone is a millstone and the smaller
stone is a sharpening stone.

One of the very first mills in all Southwest Missouri was that built by old Jerry Pearson, somewhere between the years 1828 and 1831. The Delaware Indians were in possession of the county then, and from them Mr. Pearson obtained permission to build his mill. Pearson was from Tennessee. He located near the large spring, which is near the residence of Mrs. Letitia Powell, on section 5. The water from this spring forms Pearson creek, and it was this creek that turned the mill. Some idea may be gained of the volume of water that flows from the old Pearson spring (now called the Powell spring) by this circumstance.

Pearson also set up a distillery afterwards, along in the '30's somewhere, and this establishment was near the mill; but the first still-house in the township was set up by John Burden, at the Burden spring. The hollow where it was situated is still called "still-house hollow."

Pearson's mill was an important institution in its day. It ground the corn of the settlers for a radius of several miles. The Campbells, the Fulbrights, the Rountrees, and others from Springfield came here for their grinding, until the little horse-mill was started—which was afterward owned by Judge Hendrick. The capacity of Pearson's mill was not large—perhaps fifty bushels a day, and quite often its patrons remained over night waiting their turns.

- History of Greene County, Missouri 1883 website

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
see long description


Additional point: N 37° 13.050 W 093° 17.508

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.