550 Madison Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 46.945 W 090° 29.282
15S E 718195 N 4295628
Quick Description: This Folk Victorian house is in the NRHP (323).
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/21/2022 5:15:03 AM
Waymark Code: WM171R0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: Madison St., 5th house E of S 6th St., N side, St. Charles
Built: 1880
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Folk Victorian
Original Occupant: E. Wiethoelter
Map

Marker Text:

500 Madison Street
This property was originally listed as part of the North half section of Lot 5, Block 186 on Boone's survey of the St. Charles Commons in 1830. In 1831, this property was leased to Sir Walter Rice for 999 years at the rate of $8.50 per annum.

The actual age of the house to date is unknown. Certain features of the suggest it was built l   cions   r   two at a time around 1869.

An impressive feature of the house is the walls on the first floor. All walls, interior and exterior are 12" thick     other doorways between   room.

History of Mark:
"323. 550 Madison Street; Folk Victorian; circa 1880; Contributing
This 1½-story, side-gabled Folk Victorian house rests on a rock-faced coursed limestone foundation and the brick walls are in a 5-course common bond. The 2 pedimented dormers on the front slope of the roof have been attached by a low shed dormer with a small rectangular single-light window. The pedimented dormers have 1/1 windows that appear to be replacements, like most of the others in the house. The roof is trimmed with a brick entablature with denticulated cornice and interior end chimneys pierce the west end of the front and rear slopes. The façade has 4 segmental arched openings and the entrance is in the second bay from the west. The 6-panel door has leaded glass in 2 panels and is topped by a 2-light transom. It opens onto a small gabled portico that was added between 1900 and 1909. The pedimented gable is trimmed with a spindlework frieze and supported by turned posts and half posts, but the original railing is missing and the deck and foundation are concrete. At the rear of the house the porch has been enclosed and is connected to what was originally a separate, 1-story, gabled brick summer kitchen. It has a segmental-arched window facing the street that retains its original wooden 6/6 window. A chimney straddles the roof ridge.

a. Garage/Carport; 1984; Noncontributing
The large, side-gabled combination garage and carport was built in 1984." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"Built: 1870-1893
Style/Design: Folk Victorian/Side Gabled
The county tax database gives the date of construction as 1850 and there is a building in this location on the 1869 Bird’s Eye View, but when counting the houses on this block it seems that that building was a different one-story, side-gabled house, not the L-shaped, 1-story residence shown on the 1893 Sanborn map and there is no physical evidence visible outside to indicate that the rear wing was an addition--it appears that the entire L-shape was built at the same time, although it is possible that a pre-1869 side gabled building later had an addition to create the L-shaped building. More likely the L-shaped building replaced an earlier building between 1869 and 1893.
  Without a careful investigation of the interior and floor joists, it would be impossible to determine which was the case. It seems more likely that a new building was built at some point in the late nineteenth century given the tiered brick denticulated cornice and the Folk Victorian porch detailing that was used on late-nineteenth century buildings and, if nothing else, that is the current appearance of the building. The L-shaped building became a rectangular building between 1893 and 1900, connecting at the rear corner to a small 1-story building that was shown on the 1893 map (either a summer kitchen or old smoke house). There is some indication mid-wall on the east elevation that the brick wall was extended to change this into a rectangular plan as shown on the 1900 map. Between 1900 and 1909, the Sanborn map changes the designation from 1-story to 1.5-stories. This address is listed in the 1891-92 city directory as the home of E. Wiethoelter. Along with this early directory, early Sanborn maps show the address as 525 Madison, but by 1909 the map shows it as 550, the number used in the next city directory in 1906, which identifies Earnest (later spelled Ernst and Ernest) Wietholter (also another spelling of the last name) as the head of the household, and his family remained in the house through at least 1942. Ernest was a molder at the American Car and Foundry Company (ACF), and he lived in the house with his wife Dena, who apparently survived him since she is listed as the head of household starting in 1929 (and her name then spelled Diena). In 1906, there was also another family member, Joseph



Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.