616 Washington Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.086 W 090° 29.317
15S E 718137 N 4295888
This house was built by it's first tenants.
Waymark Code: WM1747E
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 12/07/2022
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 3

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: Washington St., 3rd house E of N 7th St., N side, St. Charles
Built: 1905
Architect/Builder: Virgil Owen
Architectural Style: Queen Anne Free Classic
Original Occupant: Virgil and Maggie Owen

Marker Text:

616 Washington Street
This house was built in 1906 by Virgil and Maggie Owen. Mr. Owen's occupation was a contractor and builder.

Features of the home include the original clapboard siding, two sets of pocket doors, a beautiful oak staircase, and pine floors.

In 1986, the roof was literally raised to add a third bedroom. In 1988, the first floor was expanded by enlarging the kitchen and adding bathroom.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1905 circa
Style/Design: Queen Anne Free Classic
According to the County’s tax parcels database, the house was built in 1906, but it is shown on the 1905 plat of the city. The 1906 city directory lists the owners as Virgil and Maggie Owen, and he was a contractor and builder. A plaque in the front yard indicates that Mr. Owen built the house. From 1908-1910 the occupants were Fred and Annie Bruenger. Mr. Bruenger was employed by the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF). By 1916-17 Mrs. Anna E. Bloebaum, widow of Henry, had purchased the property. She owned the property through 1942, and during the period 1929-1942 her son Oscar F. Bloebaum and his wife Goldie lived with her. Oscar was a co-owner of the St. Charles Garage and Machine Works in 1929-34, a farmer in 1939, and a salesman for D.J. Borgmeyer & Son in 1941-42. Henry and Louise Woehrmann were the homeowners in 1945, then from 1950-1959 the owners were Joseph B. and Winifred Peyton. In 1950 Mr. Peyton was a foreman at ACF, but from 1952 through 1959 he was a foreman at McDonnell Aircraft. The 1961 city directory listed “no return.”

"This property is elevated above the street and has a low concrete retaining wall along the front lot line, directly behind the public sidewalk. Leading from the street to the gallery is a concrete sidewalk with closed string stairway having five steps. The hillside is planted with ground cover and various grasses, and mature trees shade the yard. The east and north lot lines are bordered by alleys. At the northeast corner of the lot is a one-story, front-gabled, two-car garage that opens onto the east alley. The foundation is concrete and the walls are finished with vertical board siding. The paneled metal overhead door is on the east elevation, there are no openings on the north elevation, and the other elevations could not be seen since the rear yard is enclosed by a vinyl privacy fence. The garage does not appear on the 1947 Sanborn map and appears to be modern; therefore, it is noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase III, PDF pages 831-835

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.