1116 Madison Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.101 W 090° 29.771
15S E 717479 N 4295897
This is building number 381 on the NRHP Listing. A highly decorated Doctor lived here.
Waymark Code: WM176TQ
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 12/25/2022
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member muddawber
Views: 1

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: Madison St., 1st house E of Kingshighway St., N side, St. Charles
Built: 1905
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Original Occupant: Unknown

Marker Text:

1116 Madison Strteet

This home was constructed in 1905 with limber and materials from R. W. Schnoldt Lumber Co. One of the many impressive features is the natural, original woodwork throughout the home.

The carriage house in back of the home sheltered the horse and buggy used to make house calls by Dr. Jenkins. He and his wife Rose resided here for more than sixty years.

"Chiropractors, Doc and Belle Keough, purchased the home in 1986; Doc cared for patients on the second floor in his retirement. After Doc's passing, Belle remained living here with the help of her son until 2016, when she moved to an assisted living community.

The front porch is original to the home.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1908 circa
Style/Design: Colonial Revival
The County’s tax parcels database and a plaque in the front yard give the date of construction as 1905; however, the house does not appear in the 1906 city directory. When research was conducted, the 1908-09 and 1910 city directories could not be located, so the surveyor will have to follow up to try to locate them. The next available directory was published in 1916-17 and from that time through at least 1919 the house was occupied by Anthony J. and Catherine Herzog, and he was a travelling salesman. By 1921-22 Joseph H. and Wilhelmina H. Machens had purchased the property, and he was a sales agent at Dodge Brothers Motor Co. The 1925-26 directory lists the occupants of the house as Dr. Joseph M. and Lucy Jenkins, and he was a physician and surgeon. The Jenkins family owned the house through 1961, when research ended. By 1934 Dr. Jenkins had apparently remarried, as the directories from 1934 through 1961 list his wife as Rose. According to Dr. Jenkins’ obituary in November 1960, he graduated from Notre Dame in 1902 and received a medical degree from St. Louis University in 1908. He was honored by the American Medical Association in 1957 in recognition of 50 years of practicing medicine in the St. Charles area. That same year he was honored by the St. Charles Chamber of Commerce when he received the first annual “Man of the Year” award. Mrs. Jenkins was still residing in the house in 1961, when research ended.

"The plaque in the front yard states that the house was constructed with lumber and materials from R.W. Schnoldt Lumber Co. and that one of the house’s many impressive features is the natural, original woodwork throughout the interior.

"The house is situated on a triangular-shaped, tree-shaded, elevated lot, with the west property line bounded by an alley. An ornamental concrete retaining wall runs along the front of the property at the public sidewalk, and a wide concrete staircase is set within the retaining wall, leading directly to the porch stairs. Flower beds are along the front of the porch and the west elevation.
  At the rear of the house, attached to the house by a carport, is a one-story, brick outbuilding with a truncated hip roof with wide overhanging eaves. The building is irregularly-shaped, with the west wall angled, following the property line along the alley. The building apparently was a carriage house and is now the garage. On the north wall is a wooden, paneled and glazed overhead door, and an arch above the door indicates that a smaller opening for a window or man door was replaced with the present overhead door. On the west elevation is a historic carriage door, with boards laid diagonally. Segmental-arched openings enclosed with louvered shutters are on the south and east elevations. Although the carriage house is connected to the house by a flat-roofed carport, similar to an open breezeway, it is being counted as a separate building and is contributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase II, PDF pages 521-526

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.