1111 Jefferson Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.143 W 090° 29.729
15S E 717538 N 4295977
Two story Folk Victorian, which remained in the same family for over 70 years. This building is number 314 on the NRHP Listing.
Waymark Code: WM17D31
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 01/29/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: Jefferson St., 1st house E of Kingshighway St., S side, St. Charles
Built: 1904
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Folk Victorian
Original Occupant: William F. and Wilhelmina Wolter

Marker Text:

1111 Jefferson Street

This home was built in 1904 by the William Wolter family for the sum of $3,300.00 dollars and remained in the family until 1980. The home is of Folk Victorian design with a stone foundation. The roof is a gable and hip design with overhanging eaves. The porch wraps around the north wall and east wing. In addition to spindle work detailing on the porch, the porch's shed roof is finished with two types of shingles that create a circular pattern. The exterior of the house was painted in 1985 in true Victorian fashion, resulting in six different color hues. This was in contrast to the white house that existed for 81 years. A Gothic picket fence was added in 1987.

The original construction featured nine rooms and two sets of pocket doors. All the doors, windows, and millwork have the original wood graining that dates back to the construction of the house. In 2000 a main floor bedroom was added, along with a complete renovation and expansion of the kitchen and two bathrooms. The same attention to detail was included with the addition using the same millwork and graining techniques as the original construction.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1904
Style/Design: Folk Victorian
According to a plaque in the front yard, the house was built in 1904 by the William Wolter family for $3,300 and remained in the family until 1980. The 1906 city directory shows that the home was owned by William F. and Wilhelmina Wolter, and he was a circuit clerk, judge, justice of the peace and also sold general insurance, surety bonds, and real estate. By 1950 Mrs. Wolter was a widow, but she continued to live in the house through at least 1952. By 1955 the city directory lists the owners as Ruth D. Wolter and Myrtle W. Wolter, and Myrtle was a clerk of the County Probate Court. Myrtle was listed as the homeowner from 1957 through 1961, when research ended. Her 1970 obituary states that she was born in the house in 1904, lived there her entire life, and served as the clerk of the Probate Court for 45 years.

"The present owners purchased the house in 1983, and according to the plaque in the yard they spent 15 years renovating six of the rooms themselves. The house has nine rooms and two sets of pocket doors, and all of the doors, windows and millwork have the original wood graining. The plaque states that “In 1985 the exterior was painted in true Victorian fashion, resulting in six different color hues in contrast to the white house that existed for 81 years. In the summer of 2000 a fourth bedroom was added, plus a complete renovation and expansion of the kitchen and two baths. The addition was concluded with the same millwork and graining technique used during the original construction of the house.”

"A public sidewalk spans the front of this property, which is 55 feet wide by 120 feet deep, and an alley extends along the rear. A concrete sidewalk leads from the street to the portico where it then turns left to wrap around the east elevation and lead to the rear yard, which is enclosed with a wood picket fence. Shrubs are planted to the left of the gallery stairway and to the right is a landscape bed that wraps around the west elevation. This bed is edged with pavers and is filled with shrubs and crepe myrtles. A mature evergreen and hardwood tree are in the front yard and additional trees shade the rear yard, where a garage and carport are located. The garage appears to be the same structure shown on the 1929 Sanborn Insurance map, which is the first Sanborn map to cover this section of Jefferson Street. It is a one-story, frame, front-gabled, one-car garage clad with novelty siding.
  Opening onto the alley is a pair of vertical board doors, and on the west elevation is a six-light wood window and a vertical board man door. The garage is contributing. To the west of the garage is a front-gabled, one-car carport. The gable roof is supported by plain square posts with corner brackets, and the gable end is finished with novelty siding. The flooring of the carport is gravel and there is a gravel parking area to the west. The carport is not shown on the 1947 Sanborn map and does not appear to be historic; therefore, it is counted as noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase II, PDF pages 278-283

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.