Herman C. Klaustermeier House - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.284 W 090° 29.075
15S E 718477 N 4296263
This building is number 102 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM17FGC
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 02/12/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N Benton Ave., 2nd house N of Lewis St., E side, St. Charles
Built: 1872
Architect: Unknown
Architectural Style: Federal with Folk Victorian gallery
Original Occupant: Herman C. and Maria Klaustermeier
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

Circa 1872

Herman C. Klaustermeier

612 North Benton Avenue

1830 - This property was part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons

1835 - Property listed as subdivision of Andrew Wilson who leased several blocks in the Commons
   for 999 years.

1872 - House was constructed by Herman Klaustermeier. The house is a ½ house with additions
   to the rear. It is a sample of the St. Charles vernacular (Typical of early St. Charles). These
   houses were usually built with sun dried brick either made on site or purchased from one of
   several local brick yards
   It is further characterized by the single dormer, brick dentils at the roof line, the arched window
   and door lintels, and the transomed doors. The porch is a unique sample of carpenter Gothic
   trim. The design of the porch shows where center front steps were before the city made Benton
   deeper and wider cut.

1890 - Frank C. Borgmeyer, listed in the census as a carpenter, resided at 112 N. 5th Street.

1892 - Frank C. Borgmeyer and wife (Emma) nee Fischer purchased this house. Mr. Borgmeyer
   became a foreman at the American Car and Foundary. Frank and Emma raised eight children.
   He served St. Charles as a city councilman. The house had been occupied by member of his
   family until 2013.

2013 - This home was purchased by the Bohn Family and a new legacy begins ...

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1872
Style/Design: Federal with Folk Victorian gallery
According to a plaque in the yard, this house was built in 1872 by Herman C. and Maria Klaustermeier. He was a deputy sheriff. In 1892 Frank C. Borgmeyer, a carpenter, and his wife Emma purchased the house. The 1906 city directory states that Mr. Borgmeyer was employed by the St. Charles Car Company. The yard plaque indicates that he became a foreman at the American Car and Foundry Co. (originally the St. Charles Car Company) and also served on the St. Charles City Council.

"A public sidewalk and low concrete retaining wall span the front of this 69’x140’ lot. A concrete sidewalk and stairway with 8 steps leads from the street to the gallery. Three large evergreen shrubs line the front of the gallery and shrubbery lines the south wall. The rear yard is enclosed by a combination vinyl privacy fence and a wooden picket fence. At the southeast corner of the lot, opening onto the alley, is a 1-story, frame, front-gabled, 1-car garage. It is clad in vinyl siding and has a metal paneled overhead door. A partial-height wooden storage container with shed roof spans the north elevation. The garage is noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 531-535

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.